Candy Cane Coral "going south"

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by PeterL, 29 May 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I have not idea what is wrong with my Candy Cane Coral.
    It has some cyano on it so I got stuck in and gently cleaned it up on Tuesday, because of the nooks and crannys I used a toothpick but didn't interfere with the soft tissue.

Since then, it appears to be very ill. It is sunken in and of the 20-25 heads, maybe 3 are slightly protruded. Most of the heads appear to have shriveled quite a bit and I fear it is dying, is this a reaction which is to be expected of it because it had been handled and I may anticipate recovery or is this signs of simply dying off?

I target fed with a mix of Zooplankton and Phytoplankton, all the heads which appeared almost lifeless showed movement when I fed but didn't improve. Almost all the mouths are open constantly which is confusing.

I don't know what sort of treatment to consider but I don't want it to die. :(
    Every other coral is the complete opposite in that their growth and health is better than ever, the fish are all eating well and nothing is out of sorts - other than this candy cane. I figured it of a similar nature to an open brain coral, so why the Candy cane looking ill and not the brain - the brain is the healthiest looking of the whole system...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I think you should of rather just left it alone. Are you sure it was cyano? Cyano should come off with just the gentlest of waves or brushes. My LPS coral skeletons get covered in what looks like cyano but is actually quite a hard, leathery type of substance, it never bothers them so I just leave it, it could well be part of the coral.

4. Diveshan

Diveshan

do you have it near anything like a torch? i had the same experience moving my blue candy-cane near the torch and i assume it's some kind of chemical warfare because it recovered after being moved, so maybe check if its close to anything aggressive like that

5. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I think I should have left it alone, however I am 99% certain it was cyano. Bang in the middle of the coral I had one head which began to be overgrown and died from it and I didn't want to lose any more. I know it is cyano because I had the very same growing on some of my rockwork, blowing with a syringe and it lifted in a fluffy/fine furry red/maroon substance. The very same was on the candy cane and also on some of my pollyps. It came right off the rock and pollyp but was more stubborn on the candy cane because of the fine grooves on the calcified part.

I am very sadened that I may have done more harm than good in removing it from the coral however the cyano was slowly dammaging it thank to the LFS which sold me one of my first corals and I was oblivious to the redish purple stuff at that stage as being something called cyano which is dammaging to corals. As the coral was strong enough to the point where some of the heads have actually split and in the past month it had actually grown to maybe an additional 3 or 4 heads...just from cleaning it has all but completely died off - I just don't know if it will recover or just wilter to it's death??

If this is the unfortunate case, will this coral leach toxins into the system which would mean that I would be better off removing it entirely or do I ride it out and hope it recovers?? I am concerned for the well being of the rest of the tank at this stage.
    I had to switch the lights on to move it because it is lights out, all the mouths were closed and it just looks very retracted, by the time I had it moved and just standing there looking it was about a 5min window of having lights on, the mouths opened again and it just stays retracted with the mouths staying open. I hope it will recover over the next few days.

Last edited: 29 May 2010
  6. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

It is about 30-40cm away from a torch however they have been in their same positions for quite some time and the candy cane until this point hadn't shown signs of discomfort to having the torch nearby.

I will try that for right now, I will move the cand cane to the furtherest point from the torch...

7. Diveshan

Diveshan

it's worth a try dude, maybe upload a pic of it so somebody might know exactly how to save it

8. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I moved the candy cane about 500mm last night and I woke this morning to a new coral - WTF?? I don't understand...

It has been next to the torch, obviously out of rech, just close by, and has been happy for about a month like that. Now all of a sardine it got misserable, serverly so. Then I shift it and it suddenly shines up again.

Does anoyone have a reasonable explaination for this?

9. Annoying

Annoying

HAppy to here that the coral is OK!

Ok this is just a guess (I know someone else will propably give you a full explenation). A torch coral has extremely long sweeper tentacles that can reach up to 3 times the normal tentacle size. You said you have the 2 corals that close for a month now. The torch had time to grow and finally got the size where it ealised there is a coral near by. It stung the torch with its sweepers causing the candy can to shrivel up. Because the torch is a very aggressive coral it will continue stinging the other coral until it died ore moved.

Hope I'm telling the truth, sucking all of this out of my thumb:razz:

10. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

There is a certain element of logic to that theory - you may not be too far off. However I had the torch in the tank for about a week or two before I got the real sight og the length of it's "tenticles". Based on knowing that anything near it would get stung, I rearranged some corals and put the torch on the one side of the tank as far away from anything as I could get it - this ensured that unless it went completely off the beaten track and extended like Stretch" on the fantastic four, there was no way it would get to the other corals.

So as much as the theory about it being stung holds ground, I don't feel that it was direct contact which was doing the dammage. I know the intensity of the torch because if ever I need to handle it, I find my skin gets a warm sensation in the areas where it has touched me. That suggests the power of this thing on the other corals...

11. Annoying

Annoying

Ok what about the chance that it could have been another coral close to the candy cane? Do you have a bubble coral close to it , or what corals did you have close to it?

12. Diveshan

Diveshan

ah good to hear it made it! It most likely wasn't stung and was suffering the same way my one was, Torch corals are very aggressive and it was chemical warfare from the torch that was killing it, so always make sure that the torch is the furthest coral down-current in your tank

13. Diveshan

Diveshan

Oh the word for this is Allelopathy

14. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I don't have such a thing as down current, I have 2 powerheads blowing in opposite directions from either corner at the back to the front middle...The Torch is on the far right of the tank and the candy cane now on the far left, right next to the open brain now.

The only other thing close to the candy cane was a few zoe's and a small leather frag. Now I hope the brain and the candy cane don't become enimies.

15. Dane

Dane

Zombie - any chance the cyano was actually the LPS brown jelly disease?

16. mnd123

mnd123

sounds more like the wooly red monster that me and Apollo had

17. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Both Dallasg and Jaco Snyman had a look and both confirmed it to be cyano, it is odd in that it was generally OK with the cyano on it, right until the cyano started closing it in. That is how I lost the one head, so to prevent further loss, I cleaned it ass best I could and there after was when it all went south.

I actually expected the opposite after the cleaning. It is however recovering well and looked about 80% yesterday...it should be back to normal in another day or two

Recent Posts