Can you use a mature freshwater cannister for a marine tank?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by CharlieB, 5 Aug 2013.

1. CharlieB

CharlieB

Hi all,

I have been searching the net but cant find a descent answer.

I have a mature freshwater canister filter and want to know if I can swop it straight to my marine tank and use it on my marine tank or will all the bacteria in it die due to the fact that it is now in saltwater? Pls note I have a built in sump on my nano so this will just be extra filtration for a while.

Are the nitrifying bacteria the same type in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums?

Thank you.

Mark.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gaz19

gaz19

Nope, different bacteria.

Wouldn't even bother with the canister filter in all honesty, rather leave it on the fw tank

4. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Im just using it cause I can attach my UV filter on to it. Am I risking an ammonia spike now by killing the previous bacteria?

5. gaz19

gaz19

If you switch it over from fresh water to salt water with out washing it, you will have a spike as all the fresh water bacteria will die off.

If you wash it out and remove all the dirt from the canister filter and have it "like new" again, I personally believe there will be less of an ammonia spike.
    If it were me, I'd rinse the filter under tap water to remove any large particles and then soak it in RO over night to allow for any die off. You only have a nano so remember any small amount of die off can be fairly influential on your water parameters.

6. CharlieB

CharlieB Thread Starter

Thank you @gaz19. Appreciate your help!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts