Can You Mix Clowns?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Fishfood, 20 May 2009.

1. Fishfood

Fishfood

Can you keep different species of clownfish together?
    I have 2 ocellaris and would like to get a Clarkii,Sebae or Tomato clown but don't know if its wise. The tank is about 150l
    :76:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

no it would not be wise. in a tank that small they will kill each other. you can get away with it in bigger tanks but not in your case.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Anemone

Anemone

Agreed! You're at your limit with the two clownfish you already have.

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi here's a twist in the question for you all - what about keeping 2 males or 2 females together? Also when buying how do you make sure you getting a pair lets say if your supplier is not too glued up?

6. Anemone

Anemone

Two females and two males will not work. The females will fight until the death of one or both in this size tank. If there is one remaining female with the two males, she will surely knock off one of them. If she is still alive after the first two rounds, she will have most likely received some injuries and may also die. If any other fish in the tank get in the way of any of these battles, they may also become injured and die.

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry Anemone not 2 males and 2 females I asked 2 males or 2 females and if they cant be together how do we ensure we getting a pair from where we buying - taken for granted if we catching then we dont have much choice except to put them back the sea or swap them (in other words how do we see the little girls from the little boys)

8. Anemone

Anemone

Sorry, read that wrong. Two females, no way! Two males..... they will battle it out between them (usually) the strongest one will become female. The best thing to do is get the smallest ones you can find, they will be unsexed and the fighting is minimal.

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ok lets take this scenario we in the shop buying a pair of clowns - bought and gone home - now after how many days should one be worried that they are sitting with 2 females when fighting is not stopping (before there are bad casualties and even death)

10. nakoma

nakoma

i always chose the smallest clownfish i could buy in the pet store and never hade any problems my 2 clown fish are 6 years old now and constantly breeding maybe i am just lucky i never knew how to tel the male and female appart lol

11. Anemone

Anemone

Observation, the female will be larger in an adult pair. She will also be the dominant one.

12. Anemone

Anemone

I always do my research before making a purchase. If I walk into a LFS and they feed me a line of bull or don't know anything about the animals they are selling I walk out. Also if the animals they keep are in poor health I will let them know, but I will not purchase. This gives them the option of fixing the problem for the next person, or the next time I come in. You can't expect every fish, invertabrate or anemone to be perfectly healthy all of the time. However, when I point it out, it is up to them how to handle my suggestions. For the most part, I'm looking at anemones kept in extremly poor conditions. Its amazing the things they tell me.

13. Anemone

Anemone

It depends on the size and the severity of the injuries. You have to expect some fighting. It comes to the point where the buyer has to be the judge here and decide when to pull them apart.

14. Anemone

Anemone

Here is a picture of two of my clownfish. In this picture, they are neither male or female. They are 72 days old. They are tank raised from Chicago, and had never seen an anemone. They are from the same parents and have lived their entire live together. When I found them, they were in a bag, together, waiting to be purchased. They got along fine in the bag. When they were released into their new home, they fought and fought and fought. They found the anemone, there they fought some more. The fighting did not appear to be life threatening to me. Eventually they started getting along. I've had them for over 2 years now. They have established who is male and who is female. There is a remarkable size difference between them. When things get rough in the tank such as, a water change, cleaning the glass, moving rocks, adding new livestock. The female boots the male out of the anemone. The male continues to try to get back in, only to be kicked out again. Once things settle down and the female doesn't feel threatend, she will let the male back in.

[​IMG]

15. Anemone

Anemone

You can't tell them apart until they have formed a pair.

Congrats on the breeding! Are you raising the fry?

16. ed

ed

if memory serves me right, all clowns are born male and some will turn female later. the more dominant one will change into a female and the submissive one will stay a male. if u get 2 very small u have a good chance that one will turn female and they might even pair up for mating if the conditions are right.

some clowns are very aggressive and don't do well with other clowns or any other fish, Tomato clowns are generally very aggressive, but this is actually another species. most
    Amphiprions will ten to fight with rival species. But i agree your system is very small and you should not push the limits.

17. Anemone

Anemone

All clowns are born as juveniles (unsexed). They are sexed based on their environment. In a reef tank, the strongest becomes female.
    Clownfish are damsels, like damsels they can show aggression, especially the female.

18. Brian Grobler

Brian Grobler

Mmmmmmmmm....Now I have read all of this and boy, have some of you got it wrong!!! All clowns are born female, only one turns to be male. Yes!! One can mix clowns and there is a way. Clowns are predatorily. So when one buys a different type of clown, you have to put all your clowns in a different tank, and yes, the size of the tank does not matter. Let me tell you why, I have a 2000mm (L) x 900mm (W) by 850mm(H) tank and they battle so hard the one nearly died. I then removed the clown and put him in my sump. After two weeks when this clown had become strong again I removed my other clowns and put them in the sump. Not once did they fight. After 3 weeks I removed them and put them all back into the tank and not once have they fought or tried to dominate the territory or kill each other. So if anyone wants to or seems to think different, you are welcome to pop over to my house and I will show you a documentary on clowns taken from the ocean.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 May 2009
  19. chikaboo

chikaboo

Where you live Brian?

20. Anemone

Anemone

Sorry, I disagree.

21. aslam

aslam

Hello Brian,I think your clowns are compatible because of the size of your tank.I have tried your method putting the one clown in the sump with no succes.I have went through 3 clarki clowns just to get a mated pair and the new one always ends up dead so I have stopped this practice.My tank is 4ft with a 3ft sump.

Recent Posts