Can you make a algae scrubber in your overflow?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Craigjmiles, 25 Sep 2016.

1. Craigjmiles

Craigjmiles

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make an algae scrubber in the overflow box. It seems to be the same concept of water trickling down letting air in.

All it would need is easy access to the algae pad to clean and a light source.

Anyone tried it? I guess there is a small chance it could get clogged and the tank could overflow? Unless well planned and thought out.

What do you think?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Darren24

Darren24

I have put a t on my return with a valve and made one. Eliminated the need for another pump

4. Darren24

Darren24

14748197676321647329617.jpg

5. Henkie

Henkie

I won't risk it...

If you slack in cleaning and the algae builds up to the point where the waterflow gets restricted you run the risk of overflowing the display

6. Mike Schutte

Mike Schutte

Hi Craig
    I built Myne in to my last return compartment, by taking a piece of 8 mm plastic sheet and sanding it up rough, but you could use some shade cloth like Darren has done. It worked like a bomb until my algae stopped growing.
    Pics to follow.

7. Mike Schutte

Mike Schutte

1474821354805-1647228675.jpg

8. Craigjmiles

Craigjmiles Thread Starter

Very interesting guy! Thanks, I am lacking the space for those types of set ups thats why I'm considering the overflow box.

My sump only has 2 compartments the inflow and the outflow and the equipment takes up most of the space.

What would the minimum size for a algae scrubber be? Is the one?

9. Darren24

Darren24

Mine sits in top of the chambers and trickles through. So it does it take space. If I am not mistaken it is 4 inch x 4 inch per 100 Lt.

Biohazard likes this.
  10. Craigjmiles

Aah ok cool, I see what you mean @Darren24 thanksc let me give that some thought and see if I can do the same. Thanks

11. yusufp

yusufp

From what I read size depends on amount of feeding and not the size of the tank

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I done it long time ago, but will not do it again. Had it for about a week, before I decided the risks are not worth the advantage.

First, the light unit need to be mounted either inside the overflow box as well, can be done when you got a box corner overflow.
    BUT
    You must be sure that there would be no way that you can drown the light unit. Very risky.

Or the light unit needs to be mounted outside the overflow box, against the back panel. Problem is that the back panel will then get heated up in that corner. I'm not sure if that is a very safe option either because there must be a risk of the back panel cracking due to one end being warmer than the rest. Maybe now with LED it might be an option, as long as there is no heat transferred to the back panel itself.

13. Craigjmiles

Thanks @RiaanP great considerations! Tell me what did you have planned to stop algae getting stuck/blocking the overflow outlet pipe?

The lights I think I could configure some sort of waterproof casing for in case it does get exposed.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

had no grid over the hole. Doubt algae would be able to block a 50mm tank connector.

Biggest issue was actually water splashes onto the light unit.

15. Craigjmiles

Ok thanks @RiaanP I'll let you know how it goes. Starting to get a bit of algae growing in one place so need to find a solution to control it. And space is a serious problem baring starting a whole seperate tank for a scrubber.

16. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I would rather look at an uplift or reverse flow algea scrubber its so much more compact and practical.

17. Craigjmiles

Recent Posts