can u put purigen /phosguard an carbon in the same chamber

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandrin, 24 May 2013.

1. mandrin

mandrin

hi guys i added purigen about a week now in one chamber now i wana add phosguard in as well want to put them in one chamber i got carbon an purigen already
    its in my last chamber above my return pump after my refuguim ( with live rock an cheato )
    guys u think that ok or any ideas
    thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

@mandrin, I have been running Purigen and Phosgaurd together for years in the same chamber and I havent had problems. I am also running Activated carbon when necessary. I have mine in the chamber with the most flow.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

thanks @Carl Stanhope i have never tried thses products before trying the purigen for a week now an carbon for 2 weeks jus wana add phos guard now thanks bud

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I love the combo, works wonders for me. I dont have access to much here in Hermanus so havent really tried the newer "filtration" goods out on the market, but as they say , "if it aint broke, dont fix it." :thumbup: Remember to change your activated carbon every few weeks once exhausted. It will leach impurities back into the water column if not changed. I change mine every 3 weeks, but it will be different from setup to setup depending on how "dirty " your water is.

6. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

thanks bud which carbon u using ?

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yes no problem

8. mytank

mytank

It's important to note they all chemically effect the water differently. Whilst they won't have any negative effect running them together you Should be aware of what you doing to your water.

The amounts are also crucial.

Phosguard is excellent but like any other metal based phosphate/ silicate remover it does has a negative effect on your KH, Cal, Boron Etc as it binds with those compounds as well. Depending on the aggressiveness of the media you get the opposite reaction.

Purigen is a wonderful product however again depending on the amount you should watch out for the effect of clearer water when it comes to water clarity (not color) and along with carbon it will further produce the effect. If water becomes clearer then light penetrates better. Might sound great but if you have powerful lights you could have corals from being happy and adapted to a certain light density to light shock or in some cases get GFP showing to much light.

Carbon again great but again an aggressive binding agent that will strip out things you might or might not want. Use just enough for your tank.

Now take all of those combine the effect and you have an end result that could be disastrous if you don't use right amounts and combinations - drop in kh etc with fresh phosguard / more light penetration (purigen) and carbon removing things like maybe amino acids you feeding the tank which the corals need during times of stress. Could end up being the perfect storm ....

9. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

I dont mix them.in one reactor because one lasts longer then the other so would actually be wasting..
    Unless u have them in seperate filter bags in the reactor...

I agree with mytank, too much will cause problems..i experienced stn/rtn with too much phos remover and carbon

Recent Posts