Can this heat PLEASE STOP! My SPS are bleaching, urrrrg

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Sammy, 21 Jan 2012.

1. Sammy

Sammy

Heatwave we experiencing in Cape Town is playing havoc with my tank.

All my acros, montis and other sps are bleaching badly, my nennie also on the prowl after not moving for 6 months.

Temp on 31degs for the last week or so.

Cape Town please cool down.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

Anyone tried RO ice cubes?

4. SCOOBY

SCOOBY SCOOBY

Get a fan to blow on the water.That will help.My temp was on 27.Now it is on 24.5 all day long.Got just SPS in my tank.

5. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Are you blowing air via a fan over the tank? That helps a lot. Also try to increase oxygen levels. A flow pump close to the surface will push some air into the tank. In the ocean such temperatures are not such big problem, because of the oxygen supply.

6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Agreed with the fan idea. Another emergency measure which will help is to reduce your photoperiod whereby lamps are switched off during 11am and 3pm.

7. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

Ok, tomorrow im sure to organise a fan over the surface and reduce photo period and set heater on lowest temp.

8. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

The heater shouldn't kick in anyway. You could pull the plug, to feel safe. BTW, RO icecubes are not really helpful. You should have asked for advice, when your temperature came close to 30 degrees. Would have saved some corals.

9. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Same here, its damn hot. My tank's temp was 29.7c 9:30 this morning. And so was it whole week already. I havent noticed any affect to my corals though. Need to get some fans on there asap.

10. Dlaria

Dlaria

I've floated a plastic bottle of frozen water (in fuge/sump), and have even floated those long frozen popcicles that are in the long plastic tubes. XD The fans are probably the best answer, and not running lights during the hottest part of the day. Pointing the power heads up towards the surface helps increase evaporation and oxygenation; and I believe helps cool the tank some. Have to top off a bit more.
    I pull my heaters out in the summer. I'm always afraid of a malfunction and them going on/staying on, when they should be off. If you use RO icecubes, you'd have to watch salinity changes.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2012
  11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I have the same problem...actually these past 2 weeks my standing fan of 50cm diameters, resting on a 20L Salt Bucket..blowing directly on the water surface did just about squad in lowering my Temp...we had very very high humidity in Durban...:(..I also combined the fan with frozen RO small containers, which I placed in one of my compartments...I have about 40 x 250ml plastic bottles which I exchange about every half an hour..on really humid days...my Temp stayed 29*...I would hate to think what my Temp would've been without the frozen bottles and fan..:eek:

12. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

Wow, not what i wanted to hear?

Any ideas how long a frozen 2L water bottle will last in your sump? I cant think it would last long???

13. belindamotion

My tank is a small little 58L...so my plastic containers are small, to fit in the "compartment"...guess being so small I go thru a lot...you have a sump...so you can do a 2L coke bottle...I seriously will suggest that you freeze about 6 or so....

14. belindamotion

I have 2 of these 250ml small containers at a time in my compartment, which I exchange every half an hour...thats 500ml for roughly 58L...so I seriously think you need a couple of 2L RO frozen bottles...
    [​IMG]

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

I've got two fans that come with the tl 550 plus two computer fans built into lid now and I've sealed lid so all air must cross over surface to exit canopy. temp at its highest has been 28 deg. thanks to suggestions from fuys on another rhread. prior to that all my new spses bleached

16. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

If ppl are going to keep sensitive corals they should really invest in a chiller...I learnt this the hard way last January when we had a majorly hot summer in EL...lost a lot of my Sps to constantly high temps and that was using all the cheap tricks in the book of fans, frozen bottles and extra pumps for increased oxygen.

The first thing I did when summer ended and ppl were selling chillers On the cheap was buy one. Best investment I have made for my tank for sure...we are experiencing major heat waves in EL at the moment and I doubt my tank would make it through without it. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

FransSny, Alan and mandarinman like this.
  17. Dexotic

Dexotic

Look the best long term and stable solution is a chiller on the system as this will bring down the temperature fluctuation from # degrees or more right down to 0.5 of a degree up and down. the RO ice is a good way to cool the tank down with the heat wave but in all honesty you are going to stress out the SPS and Fish in the Aquarium. The Chiller is the best solution but make sure that the chiller you buy can handle an Aquarium larger than what you currently have so it can keep up with the heat wave and not work too hard that the compressor burns out and that the chiller has a Titanium thermostat as it is more accurate than others

18. Dlaria

Dlaria

Could probably make a diy chiller. Maybe run some tubing from tank using a pump, coil it in a cooler/styrofoam ice chest, place ice bags/water in the ice chest; (having the long tubing go from a pump in the tank, and back into the tank after it runs through the cooler.) (One long tube from tank through cooler and back in.)

Last edited: 22 Jan 2012
  19. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Also another idea... Your issue is ambient temperature. Get an Airconditioner like a split unit! No chiller needed ! The cold surounds will lower the temperature!

20. Dexotic

Dexotic

True that abient temperature can help but still not accurate and corals especially SPS will stress out, an ice box can help cool it aswell but same problem as the ambient room temperature not accurate way to cool the tank and keep the temp constant. The end result stays the same that a chiller needs to be added to keep it constant and will stop the corals bleaching

21. Dlaria

Dlaria

I think that a person can get a temperature controller fairly inexpensively and use it to control the pump/fan/turn lights off or whatever.

Recent Posts