Can this be Black Spot

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Big Blue, 5 Sep 2011.

1. Big Blue

Big Blue

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

On what the Regal? hard to tell anything from the pic I'm afraid, but there does seem to be spots over the tang, unless its dirty glass? :p

Black spot is commonly found on tangs so it could be...is it showing any of the common symptoms...fish scratching up against objects? do the spots more or stay stationary? what size are the spots, should be rice grain size if black spot?

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Thread Starter

Sorry about the pic, was taken with my phone. Yes, the spots are on the Tang, the glass is spotless,so what you seeing is her. I have been treating her for 2 weeks with Herbitana as she also showed signs of white spot. She's been scratching alot against the rocks, visiting the shrimps, darting like crazy back into the rocks if theres any sudden movement. The black spots are pin head/rice grain size...been there for about 2 weeks to, they never move. So I'm not sure weather to worry about them to much..

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Well lets distinguish between the spots, if u are refering to the spots on its face then thats not black spot, those are just the markings of the Regal tang, the ones that look like they are on the body could be...but I am inclined to think they are not as they would move around and not be stationary for 2 weeks. Its more than likely scratching from the standard white spot (ich)...best bet for black spot and the same can be applied to white spot is a fresh water dip.

6. jacoc

jacoc

Black spot on tangs is similar to white spot but completely the opposite It is also called the Tang disease...it is the larva of a flat worm...the size of a salt grain by the time it gets to the host to start off with and then it grows bigger to about 1mm ...they then fall of the host and live in the substrate where they get babies if i could call it that and these larva live of stuff in the substrate until bigger to the size of a salt grain... where they then enter the water Colum and find a host again and the cycle start all over again..the black markings is where the parasite binds with the fish and there the black marking appears ..it won’t kill your fish like white spot would...the fish shows the same symptoms as when they get white spot...there is nothing you can really do to stop this from happening as they live in the substrate and can go without a host for 4-6 months...so you basically need to leave your tank fish free for that period...
    I’ve had this before and my regal at a time looked like a blue polka dot with blue spots more black than blue that’s how bad he got it and it came and went for a month...it stays on the fish for a few days then falls to the substrate and can reappear a week later again and so it goes on or it could just stop...I did a Myxazin treatment for 4 days and that has helped the infected areas on the fish but no meds will kill these flat worms as they are not a disease but a parasite...you can do fresh water dips and copper and whatever you want but the moment your fish re-enters the dt it can get re infested again...I also sucked my gravel good a few times to try and rid it from these worms as it is probably the safest way to teat your tank as to leave the tank fish free for months didn’t appeal to me..
    Make sure the fish stays healthy and don’t cause stress by catching the fish this will only lead to the fish immune system weakening and the parasite will then end up weakening the fish more and other deseases like w/s can take over ending up in killing your tang...Your other thank mates will also stress then and stand a chance to get infected aswell..my clowns and yellow tang also got some spots but not ass many so it can go to other fish and if there immune systems gets weak it could effect them...

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Thread Starter

Can this be Black Spot.

Thank-you for all the information on Black Spot parasites, going to monitor her for awhile longer, before I take any action that will stress her out more.
    She is on Herbitana and is eating well, and seems more relaxed each day...hopefully if those are black spot,they will also be kept under control with the treatment. Although from what i understand the the only way to really get it gone is :eek:a fish free tank for a good few months.
    I have never dip a fish in fresh water, as I understand the PH and temp need to match the tank the fish came out............... really have no idea how to do this, and am stiff:yeahdude:scared I kill her..

Thank you Guys

Recent Posts