can this affect cycling

Reaction score
ok so i was wondering if this will have any effect on my tanks cycling?
i went camping at cape vidal just over a month and a half ago and decided to collect water because i was expecting to have my tank up with in the next few days. however i ran into a few problems. so instead of wasting the water(i wasn't sure if i could store nsw) i added it to the sump along with 4 or 5 kgs of live rock which i bought the next day and added a pump for flow. i left that for two or three weeks then added another 4 or 5 kgs of live rock and did a 20% water change i used the same water i had collected while camping but siphoned it out and left the last bit. ok so i left that for another week and a half then bought 13kgs of live rock from durban and added that to the sump. the next day i started to fill up the main display tank with the remainder of the water i had collected also siphoning it off and leaving the last bit. i was short about 50l so the next day i bought salt from a petshop and mixed it with ro water. i let it stand for the night and added all the live rock to the dt from the sump and added the salt water. i siphoned out the water in the sump and got rid of it. added washed play sand to the dsd compartment added the skimmer and connected my return pump to the plumbing for the return and filled up the sump and switched everything on.

oh i also added nitro bac to the tank when i started everything.

ok so the reason i am asking if that could of had an effect on my cycling is because i tested my water while everything was still in the sump and the ammonia and nitrite readings where highish can't remember the exact readings. my tank has been cycling for 10 days now and i tested the water 5 days ago and again today and my ammonia and nitrite levels seem to have coming down since i tested 5 days ago. is this possible? or could it be that my test kits are wrong?
i am using red sea test kits.

Depending on the bio load what you are experiencing is normal.

"CYCLE" means cycling through the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia is produced first and then slowly declines (about 7 days) As the ammonia declines Nitrite is produced (about 14 days) then Nitrate is produced(21 days). Your LR and DSB should remove the Nitrate. So first the Ammonia will go to zero then the nitrite then the nitrate.

Ok thats good. But on the red sea test kit my ammonia is showing between 0 and .25 p.p.m and nitrite is 0.1 p.p,m. Is that normal

You can have both ammonia and nitrite at the same time. This depends on the Bio load produced by the LR die off.

The red sea test kits are not very accurate. Try and get either Salifert or tropic marine test kits.

Thanks for the info
They the only test kits i could find here in richards bay. I read that its a waste to buy ammonia and nitrite test kits so not going to spend money on a different brand of ammonia and nitrite test kits

ok so i was wondering if this will have any effect on my tanks cycling?

For NSW, it is a great idea if you leave for best 4 weeks, for saftey's sake, let it sit, there is lots of pathogens etc in our water especially at the tropical tempretures, and if you let it sit for 4 weeks, then the pathogens etc all die, either of starvation, or going vrot. If you got a spare drum, let it sit there for 4 weeks with a pump in, the main thing as long as it is fishless. I am doing a big drum at home just for holding water. This is more just a safty barrier though as I am trying to run my systems sterile of any nasties, this is all just more of a precaution though with our climate

Ok thats good. But on the red sea test kit my ammonia is showing between 0 and .25 p.p.m and nitrite is 0.1 p.p,m. Is that normal
the red sea I had, tested the same with water straight from the sea, I don't trust the red sea bud

Thanks for the info
They the only test kits i could find here in richards bay. I read that its a waste to buy ammonia and nitrite test kits so not going to spend money on a different brand of ammonia and nitrite test kits

Get the salifert, I believe they good.

Ah well that sucks so how will i know when my tank is done cycling. Am i going to use ammoina and nitrite test kits again after the tank is cycled? Iv read that they a waste of money to buy them as you only ever use them during cycling. I wont be buying any more red sea kits.
Thanks guys

Ah well that sucks so how will i know when my tank is done cycling. Am i going to use ammoina and nitrite test kits again after the tank is cycled? Iv read that they a waste of money to buy them as you only ever use them during cycling. I wont be buying any more red sea kits.
Thanks guys
I know I'll get shouted at for this but anyway, here is my 'personal opinion' :p When I started up my nano tank I thought I would be a good boy and buy the Ammonia and Nitrite test kits, well suffice to say I have used them both twice and they are now sitting in the cupboard waiting to expire. You know the safety margin of a tank cycle is roughly 4 to 6 weeks, so whether you test for Amm or Nit you still have to wait for the cycle, I waited roughly 6 weeks then bought a bottle of Seachem Stability and dosed as per instructions then started to stock my tank, 100%. Save yourself some money and just sit out the 6 week cycle.

Last edited:
Yes got live rock in durban but i think its all local rock not sure how good it is. Yes im planning on waiting 6 weeks but thought it would be cool to be able to follow the cycle with the test kits.

Yes got live rock in durban but i think its all local rock not sure how good it is. Yes im planning on waiting 6 weeks but thought it would be cool to be able to follow the cycle with the test kits.

If you want to moniter, use the Nitrite test of the red sea, when the nitrites are stable, you know cycle is over, but the amn test is useless.

Also I would also start thinking of quarentining any new fish you buy, especially if you want to buy from that new shop in emp, there is unfortunatly not the best LFS in our region including Durban, I get my fish from cape town, Our JHB sponsers on here should be able to send to the rbay airport same day.

No dont think i will be buying from emp wanted to get live rock from there but R160/kg for kenyan seems a bit steep. Any one know where i can get some good quality rock from at a decent price?

Back
Top Bottom