Can someone Identify These please.

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Meneer, 5 Apr 2011.

1. Meneer

Meneer

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Paly Zoa's .... And dont make the mistake I made .... Plz handle them with caution ... Toxic to some human skin ....(like mine) have to use latex gloves

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

those are palythzoas. Kind of like a zoanthid but bigger and singular rather than growing in a mat form.

As a bit of trivia...paly toxin is one of the most toxic substance around and can be leathal when ingested...remember to wear gloves and wash your hands when dealing with these guys.

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

lol Chika...we both posted at the same time and had the same thoughts in mind :lol:

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Had very unpleasant experience with these buggers ..... My poor hands were swollen for a week:whistling: .... And the members here recommended I get a baby to wee on my hands .... :lol: .... How they know it works I dont even want to know but I had no babies near me to test ......

7. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

Oh goodness - I put it in the tank with my bare hands. Didn't touch them though - they were closed.

Are they safe for the fish?

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

No problems ... Fish have more sense than us humans sometimes .... As long as they dont lose their senses and eat them they are perfectly allright ...... And your fish shouldnt have sensitive skins like us:tt2: .... Remember these corals will release their toxins in their defense like when i was prying them of the rocks in the sea:p ... So as long they not being threatened in the tank ..... Everything should be hunky dorry!

9. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Just a correction here fella's... Spelling or Typo's maybe, but it is in fact Palythoa sp. Not Paly Zoa nor Palythzoa's. LOL...

It is part of the zoanthid family, yet IMO much easier to care for. They require good light, but they really do benefit from feeding every now and again. Feed them brine shrimp, cyclopeeze or zooplankton, and whatch them catch it with a smile. That makes them grow and helps their colour intesify.

Good luck.

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Thats the name if you have time to say it and not scurrying around looking for babies shushu to offer you relief:blush: .... But 100% correct on the spelling ..... I just couldn't bear to spell it properly coz it brought back memories:p

11. seank

seank

Agreed. Nice write up Jaco:thumbup:

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Apologise for the typo on my part...it was only a 'z' however out, could have been sinful and called them "Button Polyps" :tt2:

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

If they were harmful to fish I think most of my fish would be dead :p
    For some reason out of all my soft corals these seem to draw their attention the most and are constantly getting nipped by something or other and spend most of their time closed up as a result. :(

14. robvdv

robvdv

15. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Thanks Rob, always wondered what the difference was!

Lol as for favia and favites...I always get those two mixed up. Favia is the one with the separate heads and the favites share a common skeletal wall so to speak right? not the most scientific terms there...but u get what I mean :p

16. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

I tend to agree with robvdv

Mine actually looks more like this....

Will take a picture with my Camera tomorrow...

[​IMG]

17. Duri

Duri

I have got a big LR with theses guys on... wonder if its the exact same...

18. costa

costa

Are palythoas a threat to other types of coral?

19. Tremayn

Tremayn

This one time I was poking my Paly's with my finger and then my face went like :eek: because I remembered that they have a poison then I quickly washed my hand. What people have to remember is that yes they have a poison, but you need to have a cut or ingest it in order for it to work so most of the time you will be safe :)

20. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

I like living on the edge - gonna go out and touch them now!!:yeahdude:

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

These button polyps are in our local rock pools. Can easily collect your own.Or when you frag your own collections

BUT BEWARE.
    That is where the poison thing becomes important. As you cut underneath the Stolon/Mat you can squeeze them easily, resulting in them squirting like a needle the poison out. Do not get that into your eyes. Same for Zoa's. You will feel your fingers going numb after a while, funny dead feeling just under the skin. So when collecting, frequently rinse your hands in seawater.

AND when collecting from rock pools
    Always look for small unwanted hitchikers hiding in there. Crabs and Sundail snails most likely. Do not put the polyps, button and zoa, in the same container than your other collected specimens (like good snails and hermits). They will pollute the water too much with that poison. Never introduce these polyps directly into your display either. Again, make sure for hiding hikers. And if especially Zoa get a grey slime over it, cut that away and dump it, it does spread fast and will kill complete colony.

Happy fragging / collecting.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2011
Recent Posts