Can nitrate make fish weak

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by deanemarine, 3 Feb 2009.

1. deanemarine

deanemarine

my tank has got 2x snapper 1x polline grouper 1x spanish hogfish 1xbi color goatfish 1xcleaner wrasse water is all ok but nitrate is high and my hogfish has white spot will high nitrate make him weak ??:nah:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Deane - as far as I know, the only time that the fish will indeed experience white-spot, would be due to stress.

This stress, would most likely be caused by SUDDEN changes in the tank's water paramaters... A gradual increase over a long period of time, in nitrates, SHOULD not cause stress to the fish.

That said - would you not prefer to let us assist you in getting those nitrate levels down?

Could you please post some pics of your tank and especially of your tank's sump?

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Are you sure it's white spot? white spot is caused by Cryptocaryon irritans - it is a marine parasite, the only cure is isolation and treatment with copper based meds, it is not caused by stress, but stressed fish are likely to die quicker than healthy ones. High nitrates won't help as they need a very good environment to live and thrive in, if left untreated, c.irritans will wipe out your tank.

Recent Posts