Can live rock be my algae solution?

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by herkie, 19 Oct 2010.

1. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Reading something about algae last night stuck in my brain and today I started wondering if too little live rock and also not good live rock be the cause of my algae battle. My display tank capacity is almost 80 litres and it is well overstocked. My sump is too small for any live rock, and 50% of the rock I have is artificial rock. The rest of the rock is normal sandstone that is now missing from the wifes garden. I have an idea the rock is too dense with just about no space for nunus to live in. Could a 200l sump/refugium outside the house be my solution?

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Your KH should be 9 to make it difficult for algae to grow. Add kalkwasser at night to drop your phosphate down to zero. No PO4, then algae can not use nitrat.
    What are your parameter in terms of nitrat, phosphate and KH?
    Is your skimmer big enough? How many corals do you have? Soft or hard?
    Picture of your tank? Picture of your sump?

4. magman

magman

Herkie, the sand stone imo is the problem, I got rid of my DSB because of the sand in there and the minerals it contained and them leaching the phosphates. Take a piece, smash it and you will see the black mienerals in there that put Richards bay on the map.

lots of the rock is also the worm rock (coral rock), which imo is perfect because it is mainly calcium based (I think) and contains none of the sands we get. Try and be selective.

Also like Marcel says, dose the kalk, I upgraded my skimmer, running reactors, and I have an old skimmer you can borrow, a weipro, rated for 600l, put a pin wheel on there and it should be fine for your system. it is a kak skimmer but it should graft for your system.

Bin the sandstone, it is 100% too dense and solid to host any beneficial bacteria.

5. LuckyFish

Oh, I missed the sandstone. Agree that could be the problem. Similar like lava rock which also releases lots of phosphate.

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Agreed replace the sandstone with some good quality live rock, you should see a marked improvement in your tank

7. herkie

herkie Thread Starter R.I.P.

Lucky Fish I just checked the KH and it is 7,8. My test kit says the PO4 is zero but I must tell you it is ancient. Nitratrate-that is a bit of an embarrassment, I do not have a kit to test it. I have a TS2 skimmer with a useless pump that will be replaced this month, in the meantime I don't think it runs on more than 30% capacity. Then I have mostly soft coral, 2 Lions and a very brave Clown.

8. LuckyFish

Softcorals like a bit more dirty water. Nitrate around 10 is fine for them. Skimmer pump replacement is a good thing to do and put the sandstone back into your garden. Better no rock then lava or sandstone. I got a 250 litre cube and I had a forest in there, because the wintersun hits the tank full. That is over now for the next couple of months. Did two 50% waterchanges and added kalkwasser, bought 4 hermits. They chew a lot away. Algae totally died of. I got 8 clowns in there, a banggai and a kole tang. Only 3 kg liverock, but I´m getting there. You should get a xenia frag. It should grow nicely in your tank. Xenia like KH around +-10.

And yes, your clown must be very brave. For know!

9. herkie

Magman I believe your sand stone theory and will change the rock after some collection trips. I got rid of the good LR when I stopped the previous tank. Thank you so much for the skimmer offer but I should have the TS2 going in a week or two.

As far as I know a kalk reactor is a vessel containing a lot of Kalk with an agitator pump running on a timer. Would it work if I put a pump in my auto top up tank that stops running when the top up pump is powered?

10. herkie

And yes, your clown must be very brave. For know![/QUOTE]

That brave clown has been in the tank with the lions for more than a year now as far as I remember. The worst is that it sometimes take the glassies that I feed the lions away from them and tow them under the rock!

11. herkie

What do you think about adding a refugium outside with some proper live rock? I would like to do that if it would help in the mean time. Am I right in thinking the increase of nunus on good rock will help to minimise the dt problem?The small display tank is quite a mission to fill with rock for a greedy ou like me. I would like to get enough rock to replace all the rock at the same time.

12. Adee

Adee

Herkie, I call the algae debate a balancing act.

Simply put, your filtration and its output (what is can handle) needs to be even (or more established) than with the amount of nutrients u putting in (i.e livestock and feeding)...if the one (livestock) is more than what you can process out of your system..the fallout will be things like GHA.

So LR, DSB, refuige (macro algae), ATS, skimmer in a combination of sorts, needs to outway your nutrient load of your system.

A simple tub with good porous rock plumbed in will help with the job, though you still need to give it time to run itself in. U can speed this up a bit with some carbon dosing, but if u do it too fast you will be worst off than before.

13. herkie

Adee, thanks for that. I would like to get a filter going well and when I start up the new tank that should be built early next year it might give the new system a nice kick start.

14. Adee

Adee

Exactly what I did on my new sunlit set up.
    50 Kilos LR, chaeto and a skimmer in a small sump (about 120L volume)....let it be for about 8 weeks and slowly grew and added that to what now is a 2600L volume system.

To use an analogy, think of your display as the size of a normal sedan. Then, in relation to your combined volume of filtration methods, this should be the size of a bus. Old school concepts work for me

15. magman

magman

Herkie, I got cheato, I harvested about two weeks ago, but I can give you a small bit if you want some, I got one of those 150w halogen lights from game for mine and it helps the cheato.

16. herkie

Thanks a lot, I have not had cheato for a long time now. I will definitely see you this weekend if you are available.

17. herkie

I checked the KH again and tonight it looks like around 7 tonight. I am adding kalk to RO and dripping. What can one do to add the kalk a bit faster. In the big tank I used to mix a slurry and added it to the system at bed time. Would it be ok to do in the small tank?

18. herkie

Thanks for the cheato Magman, and the tour to your garage. I had a close look at the reactor you have there and it gave me an idea for a DIY. I also realized the water flow past the phosphate remover in my tank is no good.

This led to a diy with a plastic container from the plastic shop that cost ten bucks plus some old pipes and fittings and the 'Phosphate reactor' was completed.

The first interesting thing I noticed after removing the PO4 media from the original 'Reactor' was a lot of trapped dirt in the media. The dirt was washed out and the reactor was installed in the line from the pump to the chiller.

After this new reactor was started up the tank water turned milky within a few minutes and I thought it was caused by the dirt in the PO4 media that was not removed. The milky color of the water got worse by the minute and I worried more by the minute.

Then I remembered the water turned milky for a short while after the liquid PO4 that I used some time ago was put into the water. I slowed the flow through the reactor down and the water clarity increased rapidly. If this is a sign that the reactor is removing PO4 faster than before I am on the way to get rid of the algae.

19. seank

seank

I had over 200kg's of sandstone in my tank. Also had algae in the beginning, but it dissapeared after a while and never had problems again

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

:biggrin: WOW Sean. Congratulations in organising the disapearance of the sandstone. :whistling:

did you catch the long fingered ones or buy them peronies.:peroni::peroni:

21. crispin

crispin

:lol::lol:

Recent Posts