Can light cause shock for a fish?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Jaredtk, 2 May 2012.

1. Jaredtk

Jaredtk

Morning all, I have a question which I need help with... This morning I got up and put on my bedroom light, then I walked over to the tank and put on the tank lights, now before I put the tank lights on I had a quick look in the tank and saw nothing on the bottom of the tank, as I put my lights on I saw one of my little clowns lying at the bottom like It was dying, he kept on trying to swim but kept on falling to the bottom, after I say 20mins it looks like my clown came right and started to swim normally, before I left for work it looked fine... Was this due to shock cause it has never happened before?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

how old is your tank, how long do you have the clown, is it your only fish? is your tank lid sealed or is there spce for breathing? a pic or two showing entire setup and light fixture could also help id a problem if there is any, but for now, try not to put your hands in the water, we recently lost a reefer due to a 'shocking' issue

or do you mean shock as in 'skrik' :)

if so, it could be yes, but like i said, it all depends how long your tanks running and how long the clowns is in it. its best to switch on your lights at the same time daily cause fish tend to also get use2 your light cycle so they kinda prepared for it

Last edited by a moderator: 2 May 2012
  4. Jaredtk

Jaredtk Thread Starter

Tank is about 2years old now and there is a lot of breathing space and I have plenty air pumps... It was just my one clown which I've have him for about 3 months now...

5. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

its not advisable to run airpumps in a marine system long term....

6. Jaredtk

Jaredtk Thread Starter

What is the reason for not running them long term, I have a small air stone and and 2 pipes either side of the tank...

7. Wes

Wes

Could have been asleep?

8. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

im no expert but from what i read its not recommended because marine fish responds diferently to larger airbubbles than freshwater fish... someone else may jump in and give you the proper proper reason

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

SALT CREEP

that's the number one reason. Each small little bubble that burst can easily shoot a tiny droplet upwards easily 100mm. Drying out and leaving a little bit of salt. If it is on your lights, it will eventually cause stray voltage that can and will chock you. If your tank got that glass sliders, it will make then dirty quicker. Same for a lens in front of your lights. That will block out a lot of light, acting like a filter. What is the use of multiple light tubes is 40% light is blocked by salt spray?

HoboHoppy likes this.
  10. Jaredtk

Jaredtk Thread Starter

Ok so how would you get air into the tank then? Airstones? And also do the bubbles do anything to the fish?

11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Is it possible to post pic's of "sump" and give spec's of this Tank...without the knowledge of you'r Tank we will all be shooting in the dark, like in the previous Thread you posted...
    Need Help!!! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    we really do need to understand you'r Tank to know "what" is needed "where"...

12. Jaredtk

Jaredtk Thread Starter

I will post some pics when I get home, but my biggest concern at the moment is that how would I keep good aeration in my water with out air pumps and also do the bubbles affect the fish at all? Please someone assist with this question cause now I hear air bubbles are bad for tanks!!!

13. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Do you have a Skimmer...? Maybe a small powerhead in you'r Tank..? surely you have something other than the airstone for assisting with oxygenated water...
    Using Powerheads For Water Circulation In Your Saltwater Aquariums

14. Jaredtk

Jaredtk Thread Starter

No, no skimmer, I have a partitioned part on the side of my tank where I've got the filter, so I use a airstone and normal gravel filter with the pipes where the air comes out...

15. Jaredtk

Jaredtk Thread Starter

By powerhead, do you mean one of those wave making machines? Should I take my airstone and gravel filter pipes out?

16. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I'm no expert but as far as i know under gravel filters are a big no no for marine tanks. As for adding air to your water, the air stones don't fiscally add air to your water it helps to circulate the water, in that way your water at the bottom gets moved to the top so that it can release all the harmful gasses and in turn take in oxygen. Your surface area of your water exposed to the air does a automatic gas exchange.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Sounds like an old style freshwater filtration setup being used for a marine filter. It worked for 2 years.

Do you have any corals, or only fish? How many fish?

A picture will help

18. saaid

saaid

@Jaredtk to answer your original question. Yes light shock does happen. Sometimes I go take a look see in the middle of the night to catch some crabs and snails etc I switch on the tank lights before the room light and some of the fish seem stunned and bounce around for a minutes before they come to light so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts