Can I ?

joe

Reaction score
Good DAY

Im in the process of setting up a new tank , my current tank volume is 300l and the new tank will be about 600l ,i dont have alot of space so the swop over will have to be done as soon as i decide to start the new tank. if i fill half the new tank with NSW from 2oceans and fill the rest with the water from my existing tank can i then immediately add all my live stock ?
( this off course provided that the salinity of the Fresh salt water matches that of the "old " water ill be adding )

mmhh.sounds alot like doing a water change,my guess will be yes.but i think the system will/might go through a mini cycle

so wot could i expect from the system if i did something like this ?

Problem is not the water cycling, but depending on the substrate and the rock, DSB etc that you have in the new tank.

What are you planning on doing with the above and then look at it from there;)

I would leave the substrate behind and start off with new, you will stir up some nasties from the old sand, but other than that, sounds ok.

well i dont currently have a substrate and i will be using all my existing live rock etc, i am concerned about my DSB even though i will be using my old sump , its just the tank thats changing ....

well i dont currently have a substrate and i will be using all my existing live rock etc, i am concerned about my DSB even though i will be using my old sump , its just the tank thats changing ....
i cant see any problems then....lets here from some of our gurus

As long as you don't disturb the sump too much it will be fine, but if you have to move it, don't be tempted to move it while it's full

As long as you don't disturb the sump too much it will be fine, but if you have to move it, don't be tempted to move it while it's full
so i could mabe just take out the water, and leave the dsb with a little water on it and then move it ?

Will be okay, if temp and salinity are the same you will have to transfere all bio filter media over ie live rock as that already contains the correct about of bacteria. If you going to use new substrate then take about a cup full of the old substrate and mix it into the new as the life in the substrate will be transfered this way and give the new substrate a kick start.
It should be fine just cut back on the feeding for a couple of weeks untill the system settles. Have done a move like this a few times and never had any ill effects.

agree here.just drain out all the water from the compartments,while leavin the DSB with atleas a 1cm of water.do not disrupt the DSB

Guys this is really cool , its been bothering me for a while
I would just hate to lose any livestock .

Yip that should be fine:thumbup:

Guys really thanx alot for all the quick and very helpful responses.
PS: dont u guys have jobs:)

Oh, we have jobs, we just don't let them interfere with our hobby:whistling:

Yip, oh that reminds me I must find the number of the guys that pay my salary in, havent spoken to them for months:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom