Can I use these rocks in my tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by CJT, 19 Jun 2011.

1. CJT

CJT

I found these rocks lying in between the rocks at Uvongo can I use them in my tank?
    They were not under the water more high up probably only got wet at high tide.
    I did not want to take any "live rock" from in the ocean as apparently that is not allowed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look pretty much the same as the huge ones in the ocean obviously alot lighter as they do not get wet all the time.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

those look pretty solid, you would do better with a more porous rock in your tank. Not to say you cant use it as base rock to hold up other rockwork, but in terms of adding anything beneficial to the system not much.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Rather use proper liverock or base rock.
    Liverock plays a vital role in providing an environment for bacteria to grow and these bacteria then break down nutrients. The rock in the pic looks very dense so wont be good at aiding in filtration.
    You could use it to support liverock and add structure to your tank but you dont know what the rock is and what nutrients it may leach into your water. Rather leave it on the beach and start your tank with proper rock.

5. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@CJT .. Yeah like kunhardt said, more pourous so that the rock can house huge bacteria populations and also for little beneficial critters... So use it as base to form your scape but finish off with as much pourous rock possible.... Also before adding that rock,make sure you clean it off with a hard bruch an soak it in ro water for a short bit to kill of anything harmfull that could be travelling along

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@459b ... Sorry dude, I partly said what you did, we posted together lol, great minds lol

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. FransSny

FransSny

Well explained guys..just on another point its illegal to remove rocks from the ocean / beach unless you have a mining permit

8. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Whats your definition of a rock?

9. CJT

CJT Thread Starter

Well I was only told that you could not remove live rock.
    Now I am not sure if I should use the rock in the tank as I do have live rock but using this might not look nice even if its at the bottom because it is too solid as Kunhardt said then it will never really look the same it might just look odd having this type of rock sticking out inbetween the live rock.

Recent Posts