can I use dead (lime) rock for aquascaping

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Chamaca35, 19 Jun 2010.

1. Chamaca35

Chamaca35

The owner and aquarist of a LFS came to see my setup at home I was having problems and he saw I had deadrock and he asked me where i got it I bought it. online 50lbs, he said not to use it because it is LIME rock and in his experience limerock removes the magnesium of the saltwater. He said I was looking for trouble with those rocks. My intentions were to get 50lbs deadrock and 50lbs liverocks and aquascape w/ it then cycle tank to get ready to introduce my corals.

To all , is limerock harmful to a marine reef setup? I have live caribbean sand and live rock in my setup cycling for 2wks now. I checked amonia,nitrite, nitrate, and Ph levels all are 0 and my Ph is 7.8 is this ok. ? Should i be using a skimmer while cycling tank in my new setup? I see skimmer cup very clean no foam it's been 2days since setup and I am worried that there is no foam in my skimmer's cup. But again there is no waste to be picked up since I am in the cycling stage of my thank right? The LFS aquarist said to just let the setup run with just liverock and sand for 4 to 6 wks before introducing any fish or corals is this ok? Please excuse me for asking so much questions it's just that I have a 75gal saltwater tank my dream is to be able to put corals and fish in there and hope the way I'm doing it is thhe right way thanks:biggrin:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

YES

4. Chamaca35

Chamaca35 Thread Starter

Hi nemos janitor can you elaborate a little. Yes to what sorry don't get it.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Test the rock for PO4 more important.

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Ph of below 8 is bad, ideal ph is about 8.3. As for just running with liverock and sand for 4-6 weeks is correct :thumbup: biological cycling and 'battle of the algaes' as i like to call it, happen during this time.
    Some pics of the 'lime rock' would help, I would assume you meant limestone, its basically calcium cabonate and i have no idea why he said it would remove Mg from the water, i guess he meant that as the carbonate dissolves from the rock as i think limestone will do unlike aragonite(i could be mistaken), binding to Mg forming magnesium carbonate, this will reduce the active Mg concentration in the water but the Mg won't dissappear :p. Just make sure you 'cook' the dead rock to remove all the dead stuff and do some phosphate tests to check is its giving off Phosphates. By cooking i mean curing.
    Not too sure bout cycling with skimmer but i think it should be on, but some pics would help of course :razz:.
    Oh and the more questions the better, there are no 'stupid questions'.
    Hope that helps buddy

Recent Posts