Can I put this in my tank?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by WAYNE HEATHCOTE, 8 Aug 2009.

1. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE CHOPPY

hi guys
    i posted pics a few days ago ,but i have"nt had a reply yet ,so here are the pics again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can i add these pieces to my tank? i intend sticking the pieces together with pratleys and create some more nooks and crannies for the emperor to hide in when he gets a bit stressed.
    I have tried to persuade the owner to let me get some live rock ,but i"ve now given up ,so when i went to j-bay last weekend i found a whole lot of these .
    I would like to know if i would need to cure them first or can i just boil the hell out of them and add it to the tank without affecting the water parameters and harming my babies ??
    The reason for posting again is because i stop working at the restaurant on friday and i want to leave the tank looking as good as possible,so i don"t have much time left.
    Please can anyone tell me the best way to go about this.
    thanx

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

I would put them in. If they are natural then I don't think they would do any harm...

4. marine101

marine101

Is that dead live rock? The question i have is why is it dead? Where has it been kept?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Jaak

Jaak

Wayne, like i said in your other thread. The only concern was having a mini cycle again. Is it not possible to cure the rock in another tank and then add it to your system?

6. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

IMHO I'd just put it straight in, there's no evident life on that rock, there's nothing on or in there to die so why worry about a cycle ? I have loads of it in my tank's sump and although it doesn't seem to attract coraline nor much bacterial life, it is a great place for the pod's and brittlestars to hide out and breed. I'd be way more worried about the glue though and need a lot of convincing before i use any !

7. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Agreed with Jaak, depending on your system size and the amount you put in.

If it a few rock in a large system go for it just put them in, however a lot of rock in a smaller, rather cure them elsewhere as you are bound to have a mini cycle as organisms populate the rock.

As for the Glue, no stress there

8. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE Thread Starter CHOPPY

My system is about 450litres and all of the rock that is already in the tank is pretty much dead except for a bit of coraline algae and millions if tiny featherduster type organisms.
    I have read on other threads how pratleys putty has been used to stick rock together without it affecting the water too much except for the skimmer going a bit crazy for a few days
    What i will do is just boil the rocks for a bit and then soak it in some tank water before adding it .
    When i found the rocks they were high up on the beach where no water has reached since the floods last year so anything that was living is definately long dead and boiling it would just remove any skelital remains etc...
    These rocks are for aquascaping the tank to make it look a bit better and thats all.
    Before i leave i will post a couple pics of the end result before i leave
    thanks for all the replies..:thumbup:

9. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Then it aint dead, its starting to come to life which is what you want :thumbup::thumbup:
    No hassle with Original Pratleys Putty, you get Marine versions as well, IMHO its just pricier.

What you could do and the best thing to do IMO is to put it in a large bucket of sea water with a airstone and change some water every few days for a 2 or 3 weeks, then add to your tank and glue under the water to get the shape you want.

Besides aquascaping they will become the home of all sorts of micro organisms which will help filter your water

Recent Posts