Can I keep Frags?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HoboHoppy, 22 Apr 2014.

1. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy

Hi Guys

I have a few questions for your experienced guys. My tank is slowly settling down and while I have not yet added any fish to my tank I would like to ask a few questions about frags.

I am running a cheat 39W dual light fitting on my tank that is 800mm deap. It is a corner unit 950x950x800 with 12mm glass. What would the minimum lighting requirements be to start keeping some frags. Could you maybe suggest a light I could get to fit my tank.

Also are some frags easier to keep than others? If so can you maybe suggest some of the easier ones to keep.

I read frags can be introduced easier than fish in a tank.

Also if you have any other advice for me please fire away. Do guys give away free frags to help starter like my self?:thumbup:

Cheers guys and happy tanking.

Gordon

My Tank.jpg

my tank 1.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

depending on the type of frags / corals.

Zoa, mushrooms can be OK. Most leathers would be OK
    But yes, you would need more light if you are thinking of SPS corals. Tank is wide enough to fit 2 quad T5 39W next to each other. Odesea units are cheap, but yes, you get what you pay for.

seeing that you are just starting with this hobby, that is what I will advise. Later, you can look into much better LED units.

4. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

Hi Riaan

Thanks for the speedy reply. You say I should fit 2c Quad 39W T5's. Would you consider that the minimum requirement before I stock frags? I see they about R2,400 a pop :eek:. I still need some fish :(

5. the fish

the fish

HI. Because your system is deep that what Riaan mentioned would work probably the best. I also have a corner system my self. But only 500 deep. Best is to keep your eyes open on the forsale threads and see. Can always replace the lights with better and stronger lights than the oddessy lights that is fitted.

6. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Your tank is 800mm high so that means anything near the bottom will need some good lighting. I would think adding one quad to go with your dual unit will be ok for some mushrooms, zoas and lps like hammers. Good bulbs is the key to t5 units though

7. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I have measured the tank and there is no way I could fit a 39w quad. the only other t5 I could fit would be a quad 24. So I might keep my eyes out of a good used LED system for between 3-4k.

Thanks for the advise.

8. Dian6430

Dian6430

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Snoek

Snoek

Lighting in this hobby is one of the most imortant topics to a new tank imo. Get it wrong and it will cost you in the long run. Decide what your goal is over the next year and then plan for it. There is no point in rushing when your pocket will be hurt once the sps bug bites. Have a look at some of the tanks on masa and ask your lfs for their advice based on what you want to achieve.

10. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

@HoboHoppy , one look at your tank and I say 1 x 130W Pharos unit will get your sorted. then you will be able to keep frags :)

11. Snoek

Snoek

I strongly agree with Andre bud. Spend the money once on a decent unit and you will not regret it. Spend it badly and your wife will remind you over and over.......

12. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy Thread Starter

Please send me a quote. Can the units be mounted on the tank and not suspended? gordonh@toolquip.co.za

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Recent Posts