Can i Convert My Tank???

Reaction score
Hi all, I joined this site a while ago, then discovered TASA, saw some serious planted aquariums and went for that, the amrine remained a dream, im busy breaking down the planted tank now and am wondering if i can convert this same tank into a marine tank.
It is an AZOO aquarium, 1000x450x450, not glass, its an acrylic tank on azoo cabinet.
Lighitng : 2 x T5 24watt tubes(6500K) AND 1 x 39watt PL Tube
filter : hang on filter

i have done some research and see that people always have sumps, i would not like to drill this tank and the space in the cabinet below is very little so i dont think a sump is going to work for me, is there any other way for me to do this??? will i be able to use the lighting i have at the moment?

I would like to have a marine tank with plenty live rock, a few fish and maybe a little coral(the easiest ones to keep).

Do you get hang on protein skimmers? or one that does not need a sump? what else do i need in terms on equipment???
what do i need to do to make this conversion possible, IS it POSSIBLE?

Any help wouold be greatly appreciated, i need all the advice and help i can get, want to do this properly.

Thank You
Nadeem

Slmz Nadeem, my setup is run without a sump but you must have cannister filters and a good skimmer.
My setup was used for full on Malawi for about 8+ years. now converted to Full on Reef!! :yeahdude:
Filtration is very important!! If you close to the Southern Suburbs you can maybe come have a look at my setup.
Where in Cape Town are you? I also have a hang on Skimmer for sale if you interested.
Oh and Welcome to the Forum :)

Last edited:
Salaam, howzit going, thank you for your reply, i am in goodwood but come to southern suburbs often, will be in athlone/gatesville on saturday, would love to come have a look at your setup, i need to see how its done, i do have a fluval 204 cannister filter running on my tank currently BUT it does not work, so i actually have a submersible power filter inside the tank pumping water to the cannister. i would be inetersted in your skimmer yes, thank you dude, will pm you, is this ok?

yip not a problem, make a turn you will see the skimmer in action too.
i'm in rylands, will send pm with my contact details.
we can confirm over the weekend as i might be off to the UK for work.

Nur, I just looked at your tank, WOW, with no sump? i did not even know it was possible for a tank to look like that without a sump.unbelievable, brilliant tank.

Shukr, i take it u mean Masha'Allah, looks beter in person though.

have done some research and see that people always have sumps, i would not like to drill this tank and the space in the cabinet below is very little so i dont think a sump is going to work for me, is there any other way for me to do this??? will i be able to use the lighting i have at the moment? I would like to have a marine tank with plenty live rock, a few fish and maybe a little coral(the easiest ones to keep). Do you get hang on protein skimmers? or one that does not need a sump? what else do i need in terms on equipment??? what do i need to do to make this conversion possible, IS it POSSIBLE? Any help wouold be greatly appreciated, i need all the advice and help i can get, want to do this properly.
Yes you can..For what you want to do your existing system with a canister or even a overflow in one corner with filter material in the back and a return pump behind that so 2x chambers.. you can keep anything you like as long as you do everything slowly...I mean stock slowly...and as far as a skimmer goes it’s debatable but I have not used one in 15 years...Your lighting will also work maybe see later if you can improve but make sure you put the right spectrum globes that’s all. Don’t make it complicated it doesn’t have to be.
This is how my tank runs but to be honest if I had to start over I would drill...then keep a sump but separate from my tank away from the wood work or in it’s own cabinet.

I run a sumpless tank. It is 1m x 600 x 550 with a hang on skimmer. I am not having any problems with it and I am enjoying it tremendously. Get the best skimmer that you can afford and upgrade your lights and away you go.

just remembered i have some 39w T5's i'll throw in the deal. i'll scratch around for some more stuff if i'm still around till the weekend.

@NADEEM, any thought on this or have you taken the leap into marines?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom