can I add a fish to this pico?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dikdaan, 14 Jul 2010.

1. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Hi ppl
    A while back i bought my dad a 7 liter pico...Got LED lighting, some zoa's, polyps and a very very small kenya tree...There is also a peppermint shrimp in there...

Now for my question, is there a fishy that we can add to the tank or is it to small???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev

No I would say a small Rolandi damsel or even a tiny little wrasse but the other day I saw about half a dozen Regal tangs about the size of my pinky nail I would have put one inn but then the rocks must be in the centre so the fish can swim round and round and............Also there is a tiny little hogfish that is so cute but I cant rem the name now

4. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Will overfeeding be a problem?

5. Trev

Trev

yes because its a pico you need to be very very very careful of overfeeding just feed enough to keep the fish alive if you understand but also thats ok cuase then the fish wont grow so fast

6. Dane

Dane

I think 7L is pushing it for any fish bud... It might live but a smidge on the cruel side. I know we're all guilty of putting our livestock in glass boxes, but I think thats a bit extreme... Why not stick to a few interesting inverts?

7. Trev

Trev

Nooit man there are a few fish that are super small, I have seen some wrasse that are as thick as a match stick and about15mm long and only grow to about double that size. Look at a 5Ltr water bottle and add some width to it, its actually not that bad for super small fish

Yo Daan whats the size of this tank ?

8. Dane

Dane

ah, a matchstick sized fish I could go with, that sounds pretty cool. Any names i can google?

9. Dane

Dane

hmmm, some investigation has led me to the Eviota Goby family... Many of them stay tiny.

[​IMG]

10. Dane

Dane

11. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

or clown gobys they get 3cm max and dont swim alot.

12. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

The pico's measurements are:
    220 High X 170 Wide X 215 Deep
    Thats in mm hey ;)
    That includes the filter area wich is very very smal...

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Jul 2010
  13. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Thanks dane for the research you have done!!!

14. crispin

crispin

youre not honestly suggesting that youd put a hippo tang however small it is into a pico tank are u? seriously?

that would be a very poor move, not good for the tang, not good for the tank and not good for the reefer when it outgrows the tank a week later and needs to be rehomed into a bigger system that they prob dont have. i say prob dont have because if they did have a bigger tank available that was suitable to a tang, in all likleyhood the tang would have been put into there first and not a pico tank.

15. crispin

crispin

are you suggesting starving a fish to stunt its growth beacuse youve housed it in a tank that is too small to start with??

Trev i realy dont think that the advice you are giving about fish in a pico is ethically sound or to the reefers benifit.

its fairly well accepted that ' fat fish are happy fish' and that diet plays a very important role to the health of a fish, and that well fed fish are better at overcomming diseases than fish that are starved.

get appropriate live stock for the size tank you have taking into account the adult size of the fish and feed them appropriatley (understanding that certain fish require addiional filtration due to increased feeding) so that the fish has the best possible chance of survival.

Last edited: 15 Jul 2010
  16. Trev

Trev

No looking at the measurements of that tank its not a good idea the tank is to high and not wide enough or long enough, I was hoping that it was a shallowish tank due to the LED lighting and that would make it alot better in terms of swimming space. Maybe like 140 high x 260 long x 200 wide was what I had in mind, and yes Crispy if it was that size and it was mine I would have put one of those small regal tangs inn there I rate they would outgrow that tank in about 6 months. But unfortunately Daan's tank is better for just what he has as fish dont like to swim up and down alot

17. Trev

Trev

Yeah the last time I saw you at Frans's place when I went to pick my new angel up he had one there but Im not surprised you didnt see it as it was flipping tiny tiny little guy

18. Trev

Trev

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

There is nothing advanced or advantageous about starving fish. I can pull up hundreds of articles showing how small changes in feed concentration increases stress, disease, mortality etc. I highly doubt you know enough about fish dietary needs to know how little is enough to keep a fish healthy. Saying that starving a fish to keep it small is shocking advice, calling it "advanced" is irresponsible, arrogant and stupid.

20. crispin

crispin

agreed, i was reading soem articles on feeding tangs and the growth rates of the fish in accordance with the fishes feeding and never before have i heard its a good idea to minimally feed a fish to stunt its growth.

trev i you are interested in reading some of the material i was going through please have a search through wet web media. they are cleverer than i am and explain it better, but thats where i was reading this week.

21. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

Fat fish and the best filtration I can afford to take out the leftovers thats my plan anyway

Recent Posts