Urgent help needed Can a sump height be increased with glass

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by durleo, 26 Mar 2010.

1. durleo

durleo

Hi Guys I redid my sump and added a second sump outside with my chiller and skimmer. The level for my return pump is a bit low and i cant add anymore water cos if there is a power failure the sump inside my house will overflow. I wanted to increase the height by 50mm by siliconing new glass all the way round and maybe brace it aswell. If there is a power failure will the water pressure be a problem?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

50mm extention should not be a problem.
    Butt the sections of glass together, glue with silicon, then add an overlapping glass section and silicon this up.

4. Evo R

Evo R

Make sure that the overlapping glass is inside the sump and not on the outside,the "pressure" will be on the extenstion and the existing sump and not only on the extenstion.

just my 2c

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I doubt if the extra height will add any significant pressure. How much pressure can 5cm water have?

But if you are concerned
    Combine both Evo and Africa Offroad suggestions into one.
    Have the extensions fit inside the current sump. Use 60mm wide instead of 50mm. So you silicone the extensions on the inside of the current sump. Have a 1cm overlay, on the inside.
    Just cut the long lengts to the sump lengt minus (the short length glass thinkness * 2)
    And the short lenghts must be cut to the sump short lenght minus (long lengths glass thinkness * 2 + long lenght extension glass thickness * 2)

Include a bit for the silicone.

But it will look ugly:(
    And you will not have a flood:)

6. durleo

durleo Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys :thumbup:

7. aquafriend

aquafriend

I had a sump that I had to exstend one of the chambers by about 50mm and just silliconed some glass in there and had no problems, ok mine is differnt, but i dont see a problem with yours and the glass strips is a good idear, for added strenth. The only problem I see is holding the glass there while it dries.

8. mandarin

mandarin

Why don't you use plastic sliders in the shape of an H, any glass supplier or hardware store will be able to have them. First silicone the slider around the top of the sump and let it dry and then do the extension part, it will also help to keep it in position and straight. The slider will do the work of the overlay and a give it a better finish.

9. manta

manta

Agreed with what RiaanP said. However where is the water coming from? From DT to inside sump or outside to inside sump.

If from DT to inside sump why dont you put a syphon break right under water edge on your return pipe in DT. This will cause an almost immediate break in the back syphon into sump from DT.

It syphon is from outside to inside sump well then lower the outside sump so that the inside sump is higher if possible.

Recent Posts