Can a person have too much live rock?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Mirage, 26 Jan 2011.

1. Mirage

Mirage

I have about 40 % live rock, I wanted to purchase more, but my other half feels I have enough.
    I don't really see how I can have too much live rock? Surely the more the better? Ideally I would like to have 60 - 70 % and for the rocks at the top to be covered in mushrooms, as I am not really much of a coral fan, I like to spend more time admiring my tank and less time stressing about coral care! I have a nano, the TL - 550, so corals aren't really an option for me. Should I get more LR?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

40/60/70% of what?

Too much live rock when you can't fit any corals or there isn't any swimming space for the fish. Otherwise no.

4. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

40 % of the space in my tank. I currently have a hit-hiker Mantis Shrimp and other unwanted crabs, so I am going into Defcon1 this weekend! I have a spare tank which I set up a week ago, so I will be taking me new rock out piece by piece and will use a thin pipe to force into all the little holes and flush out the invaders! I figure I may as well get some more live rock and do the same, seeing as though I will have to take out all of my current rock anyhow. My nitrate levels are on the rise becuase I am slightly over feeding to make sure there is left over food for the mantis!

5. crispin

crispin

there can be a thing as too much, especially if having so much lr impeeds flow so that detritus settles in corners and causes water quality issues.

its a personal thing but a good rule of thumb is to have 1kg of lr poer 10l of dt vollume.

however if u are good at scaping and can pack it in a way that it doesnt impede fish swimming or detritus settling i personally aim at having as much as possible due to the increased filtration it offers

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

you also need to consider how much water is being displaced by the rock, its not really a good idea to have a 100lt tank with only 50lt of water in it due to the rock taking up the balance of the capacity,,

also remember that once you have LR in the system you could look at adding base rock whick when put with LR will become "Biologically live" in a few months.

7. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

That is good advice thank you :thumbup:

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And too much rock can also cause bad water turnover. Blocking flow paths of the pumps. That will create dead spots, like at the back of the tank behind the rock works.

You can have like 100x water, but the rocks block most and you sit with minimal flow around the base of the rocks. And that will surely create detritus settlement areas.

Place your rocks in an open format. So that water can pass easily. Not just one big pile.

Recent Posts