Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography' started by animalia, 8 May 2009.

1. animalia

animalia

I have been looking at all these stunning photo's that are being posted and have been wondering: What type of camera's are the guys/dolls using?

How do they get these clear photo's?

So this is a thread where I would like the members to elaborate on what they take their photo's with and how. Keep in mind I'm in the market now for a new camera and doing my research as well.:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

The thing is to get a good camera. Not one of those point and shoot jobbies. I use a Pentas D40 and it allows me a lot of freedom to play around with different exposures, setting and lighting moods. A tripod also helps to keep pictures nice and sharp and the camera still. The thing is to bugger around with a camera and have fun. You'll soom get a feel for what works

4. brettb2020

brettb2020

basically you need something like an slr camera (single lens reflex) type it in google for ALOT more info. you can play around with settings and attachments to get good pictures. point and shoot camera'a with there auto stuff doesnt work when it come to stuff like taking pictures of fish. i use a canon 450D. they are more expensive, but if you have one, the world is in your hands when it comes to taking pictures

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

SLR ! ha, I got one of those today. Canon 350D. with the 18-55mm lens. Now to learn how to use it is another issue. Did a few test pic's on the SLR and i much prefer my cell phone. Far easier and the quality is not too bad. And it is always at hand. You do not have to unpack a bag full of goodies, assemble etc. Just point and shoot.:lol:

Maybe i change my mind if i can find the time to figure out what all the buttons are for and what effect they have on the pic.:biggrin:

6. brettb2020

brettb2020

well there you go! :) good camera you got there. you will probably prefer your cellphone in the beginning but it wont be for long, trust me. when you find out what all the settings are etc. your cellphones camera will rot!

check this these sites our for some help :)

8 Tips for Taking Great Aquarium Photos

Canon Digital Learning Center

and do some google searches for how to use slr cameras.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Thanks for the heads up.
    Will not help me for tomorrow, sorry today.

8. seank

seank

What price range you looking at Amalia???

9. FransSny

FransSny

animalia
    a lot depends on your budget and what you want to use the cam for, one thing i would however keep in miind is cost of extra lenses as you will soon find that the standard 18 - 55 will not work for all situations after a while
    have a look in the classifieds section someone is selling a 45d for a good price, in my opinion a very good camera, easy to use lenses are affordable and so on

i use a 1000 D & would rather have taken the 450D

my 2c

10. animalia

animalia Thread Starter

Sean I am looking at the Canon Range - Preferably the Rebel series - 350 d and 450d Hi-fi Corp and Game is selling 1000d for R 6999 with extra goodies attached but my heart is set at the 450d -Canon. Waiting for funds to come in - busy with a legal case etc where the funds should become available in the near future.

11. crispin

crispin

a decent camera is parramount to enjoying photography, and if one doesnt enjoy it, you'll never experiment and in turn never get better.

Tony is spot on about the DSL and those links will help.

the thing to realise is that once you start getting used to a manual set camera and understanding how the apperture will affect the depth of field, or how a shutter speed controlls the look of the image you find that people really start to THINK about a photo. Its those people that think about a photo that actually get a good photo.

Shooting through glass (especially curved glass) with a macro lense into a body of moving water with substandard lighting (read marine tanks) is not that easy, it will take you a while to be matching the immages of the guys on here whom are good. Sean i would guess has thousands of photos under his fingers before he started getting better photos.

but the key to it all is to get a decent camera that is ABOVE your skill and play. have fun and shoot. most will be a little blured, many will be too grainy and half the time you will miss the fish. But after a while you start really enjoying it and then start thinking about it, thats when you get decent pics :)

Nemo's i promise you thats a good camera you got there, you just need a few months to get used to it.

ive always said, if i want a phone, i'll buy a phone. If i want a camera I'll buy a cemera. my camera doesnt make calls but it can take a good shot if i am in the mood to think :)

12. crispin

crispin

thats a good choice:) I have the 400d and will look to upgrade to a full frame body when i can donate my right leg.

have a chat to rory, the fellas been hunting prices and second hand options for a while now. Rory is one guy that NEEEEEEEDS to get a decent camera soon, he's half Jap when it comes to taking pics :)

13. crispin

crispin

of those two I hear the 450d is a far better buy, but i havent used either of them, its just from third party opinions.

14. seank

seank

As Crispin Mentioned, I would also go for the 450D. I have the 350D, but would have loved the 450D, the display is a bit bigger etc. Very good choice, as well as affordable. Also check out "SA Camera"website for specs as well as prices

15. Gawiedj

Gawiedj

Great advice so far.

I use a Nikon D40 entry level DSLR camera. (Wanted a Canon, but the price on the nikon was great and I do not have any regrets.)
    The Canons are really good cameras, they also make very good lenses.

When I started using mine I used full auto mode initially and as I understood more about shutter speed etc. I started using either shutter or aperture priority modes.
    Then on to full manual.

Beside the camera think of investing in a good tripod. Something solid that can handle quite a bit of wieght, some lenses are heavy and a decent tripod helps to get those perfectly sharp shots of coral.

16. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

and get your self a polarity lens i have one for my D60 and it helps a lot when you take pic of your tank.

17. brettb2020

brettb2020

nemo janiter, are coming to ushaka today? if yes bring your camera and show a few tips:)

for anyone who is wanting to BUY A CAMERA. as franssnay said he would have rather gone with the 450d instead of 1000d. rather do that. in bid or buy and ebay you can get the 450d with lens and few accessories for cheaper than the 1000d in the shops.

and when buying a canon, for example, make sure it comes with genuine canon lenses. most of the kits you buy with more than one lens, come with generis lenses.

my 2c for buying :)

18. animalia

animalia Thread Starter

Now I just need to get past Hubby - I have my heart set on the 450D rebel series. Looking at extra lenses as well but do not want to go generic - i will look at bid or buy and or E-bay.

all these information just makes me more determined to get the right camera.

Thank you very much - :lol:

19. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

20. Ross

Ross

Canon is a great choice. Just one thing to keep in mind, the camera does not make the picture, it just really stores it. If you want really sharp, detailed and well contrast images, you will have to invest it good lenses (referred to in photographic terms as glass)

This is where Canon is a great choice, there L series glass is out of this world but you are going to pay for it.

I know somebody selling a 450D and some good glass if you would like me to post the details.

21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Well i messed around with my 350D today. Was told by my family that i am like a little boy with two wee wees.:biggrin:

I had s short lesson with JayPjay and was advised to start by using the Camera in automatic mode at first and then anything on the left of the Automatic selection dial.

I am a big boy now so please be honest in opinions of this pic.

[​IMG]

Oh and this is the test anemone.:razz:

Recent Posts