Calling all science people please!

Reaction score
howzit guys

im writing my science exam on wednesday. i understand most of it just stuck with one section:electrostatics. i know what im doing, and what every thing means, i just dont know how to convert coulombs in micro colombs/milicolombs/nanocoloumbs or pica colombs.

1colomb =
1x10^-3 -milicolombs
1x10^-6 -micro colombs
1x10^-9 -nano colombs
1x10^-12 -pica colombs

is the above right?

now i get stuck when i get a question as follows:

1.1) 10nanocolombs= ....microcolmbs
ect

any 1 got and easy way how to work these out?:wave2:

thanks
gareth

HI Gaz

Those look right (but it is Friday...) :whistling:

I do it with zero's or commas...

There is three zero's/comma's inbetween each step right 3-6-9-12...So make it like a little ladder...
So if you move 1 step up the ladder like Nano to Micro it is three 000/commas to the left. If it is down the ladder it is to your right...

So 10 to move one step up your ladder it is three to your left 1,0; 0.01 and finally 0,001.

Hope it helps...I use to draw little commas while I do this...Jut remeber with like a 10...the comma first moves inbetween the 1 and 0 before it goes before the 1...

Good luck with the studies mate ;)

Yeah you get used to it afterawhile... I have to do it everyday in the lab with volume calculations...

to think, I was one of those guys in science and math class that went, when am I ever going to use THIS in REAL life... :whistling:

Wish I had terabytes :p I had animal husbandry instead of economics... :razz:
Isn;t the capacity of the human brain 4 tera bites? well useless info, but still...

and instead of writing 0.001 you can right it as
0.001x10^-6
=1x10^-9

doing the ladder thing now and it works much better!
thanks!

hmmm:slayer:

something i have been noticing. if you want to get from
say 4.8nC to mC.
can you just say 4.8x10^-3?

mC = 10x^-3
nC= 10x^-9

what if you want to get from mC to nC.
and mC=2.1
would this be true, 2.1x10^-9?

I'm afarid not.

See the thing is...if you say something is 4.8nM that meens it is 4.8 10x^-9
So you would still have to move the comma to change the unit...it's like making ml into L. 10 ml is always 10 ml until you change the unit to L. Then it is not 10 L. same way 4.8 nM is always 4.8 nM.

Look at the 10x^-9 as a unit. Like meter or litre. So instead of writing nM you owuld write 10x^-9....get it.

sort of. so 10x^-? is like a constint, it wont change.to get it to change you move the commer.once you have moved the commer, do you then right you answer with 10x^-6 (if say they asked for micro)?

Thats It... It represents the amount of zero's. So instead of writing all the zeros we use those as place markers/units,
it friday so this bit is under correction...Jac double check me here please...

So 1 10x^-6 is the same as 0.000 000 1. But instead of all the zero's you
write 1 10x^-6...

Thats It... It represents the amount of zero's. So instead of writing all the zeros we use those as place markers/units,
it friday so this bit is under correction...Jac double check me here please...

So 1 10x^-6 is the same as 0.000 000 1. But instead of all the zero's you
write 1 10x^-6...
wouldnt it be 0.000 001. thats six figures after the " . " i could be wrong on this

getting the hang of it!

thank you so much!
sent the last 2hrs on google search for this.
going to do all my past excercises now this way, will let you know how it works. thanks!

Yes, thanks Jacie :)

Maybe the Friday mood is kicking in....I even told my staff they can go home once the sequencer is up and running, which should be in the next 10 min or so :)

I want to work on a new DIY skimmer this weekend...

Back
Top Bottom