Calling all DSLR Freaks, Need Help!

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Jason, 15 Nov 2014.

1. Jason

Jason

Hi all

I want to get a DSLR camera to start taking some good pics.

I have a Samsung Digital Camera thats awesome for outdoor use but doing some intense macro shots in my tank the camera does not do the job.

I want to take close up pics in my tank and just better quality pics all round.

I do not want a professional 20k camera but was thinking about something in the line of the Nikon D3100 and DSLR's in that price category.

I can get a brand new Nikon D3100 for around R3500 with a 18-55mm lens, should i go for it?

Im not looking at high professional camera but good quality pics not just of my tank but obviously everything ells also.

Thanks
    Jason

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JJF

JJF

@Jason, remember that the power of the DSLR lies in the fact that you can swop lenses. Personally I have a Canon 600D, so I am not familiar with the Nikon range, but I know they are good cameras. My advice would be to start with the D3100 and rather spend a bit extra money on lenses.

If you are going to take a lot of close-ups in your tank, I can recommend you buy the sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO dg macro. At about R3.5k it is a fantastic entry-level zoom lens with decent macro capabilities. I also have one of these and use it often. Be sure to get the APO version though, not the non-APO which is half the price, it is worth the extra R1.5k.

Now I can already hear the boffs scoffing at my suggestion, but hey, some of us need to stick to budgets... :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    tekkengal likes this.
  4. Reaper

Reaper

@JFF lol I'm one of the boffs, but I will surely not scoff at anyone. Being a pro photographer I need high end equipment, but for every different kind of shoot there's different kind of lenses, so my gear is worth over 60k. For @Jason I would recommend going with Canon. Nikon has the same quality, but costs are a little more on the Nikon range with the same quality of Canon. Having said that, if you can get a really good deal on a Nikon, then go for it. I shoot Canon only, there's a much larger range of lenses for canon also. You can get awesome sigma lenses for both the Nikon an Canon, but make sure it's a macro lens. The Nikon you're looking at has a decent 14 mp sensor and a nice big display. At Orms you can get it with the normal 17-55mm kit lens, mem card and baggie for R3800. Then pair it up with the Sigma that JJF said also at Orms for R3300. Obviously the more expensive u get, the better the quality...

5. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi @Jason
    What is your budget and are you looking at entry level or slightly higher?

6. JJF

JJF

So this thread inspired me to go take a few snapshots of my tank before we had to rush off to a birthday party. Below are a few, all taken with my Sigma 70-300 APO DG and Canon 600D. I did a bit of post processing in which the colour were enhanced a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

7. Reaper

Reaper

@JJF looking real good there, nice crisp photo's. Looks like you're really enjoying that little sigma

Recent Posts