calcium reactor

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Jarred van niekerk, 18 Jan 2012.

1. Jarred van niekerk

Jarred van niekerk

hi guys
    just a quick question concerning calcium reactors?im going to be decreasing the amount of water in my sump because my sump cant hold the gravity feed and always over flows so that would mean i will have 90litres of water in my sump with about 15kgs of live rock! my tank is just over the thousand litre mark and has around 100kgs of live rock in it(maybe more)! now for my question?

can i run a calcium reactor thats rated at 800litres and tweek it that the drip rate is greater so i will get the required alkalinity levels?

just looking at cheaper options as im a student!

can you guys give me ideas on models and makes to use?

thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Jarred i am fully into advising lower priced products for peoples budgets, so there are 2 ways to look at this

1) buy a smaller reactor and upgrade as your system demand increases, but i gaurantee you that the demand will increase pretty quickly
    2) buy a bigger reactor in anticipation of the demand in future, this will offer you more scope in the greater scheme of things..

on a side note
    in our discussions of ph probes via pm, i want you to know that activation of the solenoid to add co2 is best regulated with a ph controller and a ph probe. the main purpose for this is to make sure the water within the reactor stays at 6.5 which is optimal for dissolding the media.. to high or to low and you will have adverse effects.

when buying serious equipment it is important to make sure it is functioning correctly or it could be a waste completley.

the basic componenets you will need to run a Calcium reactor are as follows:

Reactor body with hydrcarbonate/aragonite media
    Bubble counter
    Solenoid
    Co2 cylinder
    Regulator
    ph controller fitted with ph probe

You will still need to physically test your tank water to ensure you are not negitivley affecting your ph.
    I am fully aware that you are a student, but this type of gadgetry is for an advanced level of reefkeeping and it is best that the unit be run with all measuring instruments in place as even experienced hands can get into trouble...

toppdogg and viper357 like this.
  4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

5. Jarred van niekerk

Jarred van niekerk Thread Starter

thats what the guys have told me here in pe! exactly wat is said with the deltec reactor!

6. Jamie@Vertex

Jamie@Vertex

Jarred,

I would agree with most of what Leslie has outlined, however, belonging to a very old school of aquarists, I have never used a solinoid or pH meter for my reactor. When I started they were simply not around (you should have seen the reactor). When a reactor is properly set with a bubble counter, you will be able to maintain a reasonable control over the Ca+ input to the tank, and more importantly, the CO2 input. What is critical is the flow rate through the reactor in comparison to the dropping of solution back into the tank. It is a caustic brew and must be slowly added, otherwise pH changes will occur. If the flow rate in the reactor is too slow, you will never reach a good dissolve rate and may even develope anaerobic pockets, not to mention too short of a contact time with the aragonite. Sounds silly, that one would let this happen, but people do, therfore I mention it.

In any case, do try to add the calcium to the sump, not direct into the tank. If it must go into the tank direct, then in a current area. CaCO is highly reactive and will bind other elements, such as PO4, which is not the idea behind a reactor. It should be available to the corals and other calcifiing organisms.

Like Leslie, I always try to buy the best I can, otherwise you end up paying more later. Better to add via the Balling method as supplement, than to cut corners on the reactor that is to handle the load. Save your pennies (do you guys have pennies?) and invest in a good piece of kit.

just my opinion....

Jamie

7. Jarred van niekerk

Jarred van niekerk Thread Starter

shot for the replies guys! wats the aquamedic cr1000 like for my system? found a second hand 1 for R2700 comes with bottle,solenoid,pressure valve and a ph meter? i have placed a second dibs on it?

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

They are quite good. However, If it is the Square shaped one the circulation motors in the reactor head can be expensive to replace. Sometimes cheaper to buy a new one. The motor overheats if it is let to run dry and the impeller seizes. Make sure this is not the case before purchase.

Recent Posts