Calcium reactor or doser

Reaction score
Good day all I am starting a new 2 meter tank transfer everything from my 950x950 cube been running 5 years through question is calucum reactor or doser than you

It depends on what you prefer, a well set up CARX while expensive initially, and once dialed in properly, trumps dosing, especially with high demand tanks.

If you don't mind mixing up for balling then go with the dosing. A calcium reactor is really nice but outlay is expensive! Having said that, a Calcium reactor is far easier in my opinion. I also only test parameters monthly as it's almost set and forget. I personally battled with balling as the magnesium was hardly being consumed in my tank and my ratios were always put and I had to test often. With the CaRX I just measure dKH once a month and the other parameters I hardly ever measure.

Last edited:
Also, I feel most of the success I have had is due to me investing in a decent continuing dosing pump for ensuring a constant flow of water in and out of the system. It was a massive problem to get a proper constant flow with the other two common methods which are to siphon water into the reactor, and using a return pump. Both absolutely sucked at regulating flow properly through the system as the pipe gets blocked or restricted. no issue at all with the continuous dosing pump. I got the Kamoer fx-stp pump for fairly cheap on amazon. A decent quality regulator is important too. I have a saga regulator, which is good quality, but not great for fine tuning bubble count. Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom