Calcium Reactor Help

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Manic, 8 Jul 2010.

1. Manic

Manic Moderator

Hey everyone,

Been running my calcium reactor without a Ph controller for a few weeks now with no problems. I recently got a Ph controller and connected it this morning. Everything works fine and the controller opens and closes the solenoid valve perfectly. Here is my problem though. When the solenoid valve opens it lets a short burst of C02 into the bubble counter and then resumes the normal C02 flow rate. This is stuffing things up as the short burst of C02 drops the Ph in the reactor instantly and the solenoid valve is constantly opening and closing. The solenoid is aqua medic and so to is the regulator. Is this normal or is there a way to prevent this. The regulator pressure is sitting at 2 bar delivery pressure.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Have you tried turning the bubble rate down Manic? From the way you describe it, it sounds like a faulty regulator.

4. Manic

Manic Thread Starter Moderator

Turning the bubble rate down doesn't seem to help. I think the problem is that the pressure from the regulator builds up in the solenoid valve and tubing. Then when the solenoid opens it releases this pressure. What is everyone elses regulator pressure running at. I think the delivery pressure is too high

5. Mekaeel

Manic, try and turn the pressure down to 0.8 bars and see what happens. Perhaps it is too much of C02 in the regulator.

6. Manic

I going to try that now once I figure out how to do it. The aqua medic regulator looks like this:

[​IMG]

7. Mekaeel

Turn the pressure own from the actual bottle dude. You will see the drop in the gauges after some of the pressure in the regulator is lost.

8. Manic

Closing the bottle more doesn't change the pressure at all. I think the main problem is that the needle valve is before the solenoid valve. If it was after it then I wouldn't have this surg of C02 every time the solenoid opens.

The aqua medic regulator has a constant supply pressure, so that can't be changed. I've replaced the tubing with air line tubing used for pressure applications. This seems to help out a bit. Another thing I wanted to ask, what should I set my Ph controller to. It is set to start the C02 at 6.55 and turn off at 6.45. With these settings my solenoid valve opens and closes about every 5 minutes. Does that sound right?

9. Manic

Alright I give up. The bubble rate is at 1 bubble every 4 seconds and I still get this surge of C02 every time the solenoid opens.

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Strange Manic...... I don't have a "solenoid"..... and my calcium reactor's bubble meter was set to 3 bubbles every 2 to 3 seconds...... My pH was +-6.3 and my Ca was +- 520 out of the "effluent".... and alkalinity (from the effluent) was at +-14......

My tank's calcium was at +-480 and alkalinity at +-9-10........ pH at 8.2..... My tank: +-1500 liters of water.....

11. Manic

The solenoid is the problem. I've been running it without a Ph controller and everything was working perfectly. I think the main problem is that the needle valve is before the solenoid, it should be after the solenoid.

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Manic - I don't have a pH controller, nor solenoid. Only the CO2 bottle, regulator.... and supply pump... (and Ca "reactor").... that's all... I use a digital pH pen.

And it is MUCH easier to "manage".... believe me.....

13. Manic

I tried that way but it wasn't really consistant. The Ph controller is working for me now. Seems like I just had to change the one setting.

14. Mekaeel

Perfect! Even on at 6.55 and off at 6.50 is fine, just a little swing.

Recent Posts