Calcium Reactor and Tank PH

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Kunhardt, 10 May 2011.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I got myself a Tunze Calcium Reactor last week from Scubaninja and after a week of trying to figure it out I think I have finally got the thing running as it should. My only problem now is, is that my tank seems to be running at a Ph of 7.89 sometimes a little lower at 7.83 sometimes a little higher at 7.94

My question is, is it safe for my tank to be running at this level? Before the reactor my tank was generally sitting at 8.1

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Perfectly normal dude! Dont stress. I ran my Ph as low as 7.7 in the past. Should you want your Ph slightly higher, try and encourage evaporation so that you top up with more RO/Kalk solution. But as I said, dont stress, a tank will still run in healthy manner with a low Ph such as yours. :)

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Cool, thanks Meks...the whole reactor thing is new to me. :)

5. Mekaeel

Dont worry dude. It took me forever but eventually got the hang of it. lol.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

yep the Tunze carx is not your conventional reactor setup.. im still undecided if its easier or more difficult to set up..

its the location of the probe that threw us off for so long.. notmally there is one reading the ph value within the reactor body the Tunze system reads the tank ph value..

7. Adee

Adee

Same here, albeit I've been running a CARX for about 3 months now. At night, mines can go down to 7.8 and in the day is 8.1. Before that my range was 8.4-8.1.

It is also advisable to add kalk as I believe that it really does help supplement a CARX unit, very well. Your best bet to combat the low PH would be to run kalk (calcium hydroxide) at night, either via (night time) top off or doser. The 'balance' of your systems Alk and Ca needs is then supplemented by the CARX unit. As most of us will have high evaporation during the day, adding kalk then is only really going to boost the day time figure, its the night time levels you would want to take care of.

But as Meks mentioned, there is no harm...I've had no issues with the low PH's, so have not really bothered with a dedicated night time kalk dosing. I do run a kalk stirrer though but that as I mentioned, would work more during the day than at night at boosting PH.

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I have never used any other Carx so I cant comment on if its better or not, but with constant reading up and fiddling I am understanding it more and more every day and am finding it quite simple now. Also what I like about the Tunze one as apposed to the other ones I have seen is its size...this thing is small and compact...a real plessure to have.

Thanks for the info and advice Adrian. I am using Kalk as well...although mine is in my ATO resevoir and gets added to the tank every time it tops up, so ya I am in the same boat, mine tends to add more during the day. I am monitoring all my parameters daily though to see how they are going with the installation of the carx.

9. leslie hempel

mark you could add a timer to the top up unit so that it functions at night, the only problem is that you will need to inspect the water levels before bed and again in the morning to see if it worked the night shift.... then your kalk would be added in the correct dosing window to assit with ph maintenance.

10. gaboon

gaboon

If the calcium demand is not too high you can set it up to run during the day only. You'll also notice the tanks PH runs lower in winter as well. Not sure if thats the case at the coast.

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

but then wouldnt my tank not top up during the day and then at night when it kicks in it would dump a whole wack of Kalk water into the system?

12. leslie hempel

all you would typically be doing is reversing the cycle of the top up, agreed that more evaporation happens during the day but the Timer for the ATU could be set to come on and off over an 8 hour period to avoid the scenario you are concerned of...

13. Suhayl

Suhayl

Kundhardt, what kind pump are you feeding the reacter with and are you using a non return valvle? My Deltelk PF 601 seems to be siphoning some water out when switching it off? The non return valve for the co2 also not that good quality as the water passes through it.

14. Mekaeel

One more thing guys. After installing and switching on your Carx. For the first two or three weeks or basically until you know your reactors ins and outs, test you Ca once a day and your Alk twice a day. That way you can make the necessary adjustments to the drip rate, bubble count etc.... to achieve the desired levels of Ca and Alk.

At this stage while 'learning' your CArx, I suggest stopping all other means of dosing Ca and Alk, including dripping/dosing of Kalk. This way, you will know the true output of your reactor. :)

viper357 likes this.
  15. leslie hempel

good info there Mek..

16. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

ok I see what you saying, that could work quite well actually.

Its the Tunze pump that comes with the Reactor, the non return valve is also one that comes with it. So far no issues with either of those items. Just took me forever to understand the manuals for this thing...the direct translations from German to English made it difficult to follow what they were trying to say.

Thanks Mek, I have been testing daily both of those for the same reason you have said...and also fear of killing everything by over dosing :p

Good idea on stopping the kalk for the time being as well...makes a lot of sense.

17. Mekaeel

Shot Les ;)

Cool man. Keep us posted on how it goes :)

leslie hempel likes this.
  18. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Will do.

19. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

in the same boat, so one turns of the ATU during the day and use it only at night so that Kalk is added to help the PH swings... but would adding a large fuge reverse lit help in anyway?

20. leslie hempel

i stand to correction but mark does run lighting over his sump on a reverse cycle..

21. Mekaeel

I cant see why it wont.

Recent Posts