Calcium Reactor and PH

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 13 Aug 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

Hi all,

I was wondering what do you all do with calcium reactors, to keep your PH in check. Since adding my calcium reactor I am getting swings in my PH between 8.2 and 7.8. I want to keep it as stable as possible.

What I want to achieve is to keep it as stable as possible.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. vatso

vatso

don't worry about tank ph it swings even in the ocean

4. pXius

pXius

Top up with kalk?

5. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Good article, seems to be an issue with Calcium reactors.... I have also noticed PH swings due to changes in Salinity...
    @vatso - why wouldn't you worry about the PH swings, surely this is one parameter that can really effect your tank?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

I thought about this..... but on both articles (Post below) it says it is "A solution" BUT "not really that effective"

Article 1
    Article 2

7. pXius

pXius

hmmmm interesting.

Whats your dkh?

8. vatso

vatso

I think it's important to note that your closed loop system will have these swings but nothing as low as 7.4 for months - so as long as your PH is around 7.8 and above you all good. stop chasing the unicorn

9. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Makes sense :) Thanks for the input :)

10. Submariner

Submariner

Hi My Tank

If you dont want the huge drop at night just have the profilux set to only allow co2 to run during the day.

Just for interest sake how are you heating your fron room where the tank is running?

I only ask because if its a gas heater then this is also adding to the problem.

11. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

I actually do run it a lot .... I will do the aeration test and see if this is the case.

But really good point!

12. Helga

Helga

@mytank,

Im running the Calcium Reactor and the Reef Octopus kalkstirrer on the tank since startup. I have had the PH swing from average of 8.2 before lights out to 7.95 in the morning. As I started stocking the tank more heavily, the swing changed from 8.1 to 7.85. My tank has since never reached higher PH levels than 8.1 or lower than 7.85.

To test a few theories ie. 1: lower PH while running a calcium reactor :
    - I have switched it off for 2 months, while still running the kalkstirrer. I have found no change on the swing at all. Still the same swing.
    2: Low Oxygenation: I have a 5000 Ext Bubble Blaster skimmer, 4 Vortech pumps, 4 sunsuns directed to the surface, 2 tubed style air stones in the sump and the Refugium tied into the tank....

What I'm doing at the moment is to dose Seachem Aquavitro Balance at night just after lights out. It raises the PH without interfering with the KH and other readings.

Have spoken to numerous gurus about my "concern". All gave me the same answer. "If all the other parameters are stable and in comparison, and the tank and its inhabitants are healthy, thats just where my tank is running and not to be overly concerned"

Also agree to add a kalkstirrer to dose kalkwasser to the system will defenitely help to raise your PH.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Adee

Adee

I've been running a CO2 Carx for about 2 years now...I get the same swings every day, I do nothing about it...Life, goes on. So don't stress about it.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what is your KH reading?

Also gas heaters, cold weather outside, all doors and windows closed and you will lower the overall room O2 and increase the CO2. That will affect your tank PH. What you can do is to extend the skimmer intake line, drill a hole in the wall and extend it to the outside. Then you suck in clean new fresh air from outside. Anyway it is better than recirculation the same air in the cabinet.

15. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

9dkh. I think its a combination of a few things ..... in my case. So I am going to post it here for anyone else to learn.

1. I found out last night my solenoid valve was jammed / broken on OPEN. Which explains why my PH in my CARX was breaching 6.0. The range I set was 6.3 and at 6.35 turn on the C02 to drop it to 6.3. With the valve open there was A LOT of gas trapped at the top of the CARX reactor. That was leaking and bleeding back into the tank chamber. I use to have to "bleed" the Calcium drip line once every two days. I changed the solenoid last night and I have seen a stable CARX and "more" stable tank PH.

2. The position of your Calcium drip line is critical, two things:

1.2 If its to close to the surface of the water the CO2 does find its way easier to the sump water. Believe it or not but I found a 0.15 improvement in PH by moving the calcium drop much higher.

2.1 In my case I also had my dripper close to my PH probe. Close = 40cm close and even though it was 40cm way it still impacted it by 0.10 PH points.

3. I did the aeration test, and there was a lot of C02 in the water. I didn't use a heater last night and noticed less fluctuation too...

This is just my inputs right now....

Recent Posts