Calcium over alkalinty

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Phyrannus, 22 Nov 2010.

1. Phyrannus

Phyrannus

Question about my alkalinity.
    I regularly test my water once a month. I've noticed that i maintained my calcium level at a good level of 420-440 ppm but my alkalinity level stayed at 6kdh. I supplement calcium and alkalinity 1ml daily. Does this mean that i should add more on alkalinity? or this is the cause of a trace of Nit and phos in my tank?. (an endless battling with Nit&Phos)wheeew..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Ur buffer addition is not enough imo. wat brand buffer are you using???
    follow the instructions and see if ya dosing the recommended amount per litre.
    If I was you, I would just increase the dosage and monitor the alkalinity for a week, that could give you an indication.

Wat is nitrate level??? Have there been some unwanted cyano algae(red) growth?

Have u been doing water changes recently, how long have u had ur tank bro?

4. Phyrannus

Phyrannus Thread Starter

5. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Not necessarily.........If your calcium level is fine, leave it, just add your buffer solution...........Why don't you buy ready-made buffer solution, there's lot out there, Red-sea, brightwell...I don't think they are expensive, the buffer is a a mixture of baking soda(sodium bicarbonate), sodium carbonate and borax.....There'll be indications on the dosage of the buffer solution that will guide you, plus some monitoring on ur alkalinity on the first weeks will probably give you an idea if its working or not.
    Hope it helps!

6. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Hey Mauritius,

I'm curious as to your questioning w.r.t nitrate and cyano in this thread? Is nitrate and/or cyano related to alk/Ca?

update: nevermind - I am being an idiot ;) - never read the 1st post correctly!

Cheers
    Jason

Last edited: 22 Nov 2010
  7. Falcon

Falcon

i think you should first get your alk up with an ready made solution like brightwells etc(only once of) then maintain the correct levels with the two part solution once your calcuim and alk are at the desired levels as that two part solution maintains the balance.

As for your nitrate and phos,get a nice big dsb for nitrate control and for phos get some po4 granular remover....not the liquid ones.Or you could just grow macro algae in your sump so that they take up all the phos and nitrates.

8. durleo

durleo

If you are having a battle to maintain those levels then it might be useful to check ur magnesium levels because you will not be able to increase ur calcium or akalinity if ur magnesium is not around 1300ppm. Everytime you dose a buffer then calcium will be lowered and vice versa. The magnesium will bind it in solution. You can use a bacteria solution like Microbacter 7 or Seachem stability to reduce nitrate. You will have to carbon dose with vodhka as i find the reef bio-fuel very strong. You will also need a good skimmer to skim out the bacteria. Alot of guys like using the Prodibio aswell cos you dont need the Zeostones.

9. Falcon

Falcon

what filtration methods are you currently using?

10. Phyrannus

Phyrannus Thread Starter

I have 35kls of LR and 50g sump underneath with JEBO520 upgraded new version skimmer.(satisfied with the performance though i need to fine tune the unit every cleaning). I have cheato in my DSB and using Phospad for the phos. (i have doubt with this phospad).

11. Phyrannus

Phyrannus Thread Starter

"If you are having a battle to maintain those levels then it might be useful to check ur magnesium levels because you will not be able to increase ur calcium or akalinity if ur magnesium is not around 1300ppm. Everytime you dose a buffer then calcium will be lowered and vice versa. The magnesium will bind it in solution. You can use a bacteria solution like Microbacter 7 or Seachem stability to reduce nitrate. You will have to carbon dose with vodhka as i find the reef bio-fuel very strong. You will also need a good skimmer to skim out the bacteria. Alot of guys like using the Prodibio aswell cos you dont need the Zeostones."

I'm am also dosing mag once a month.( but never tested my mag)...
    So if i increase the dosage of my buffer, i also need to increase the calcium dosage? i'm much worry with the phos than with the nit. cause phos never left my tank eversince. Nitrate went from zero couple of months ago.

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Are you running GAC? If so, it could be the source of your PO4.

13. regis

regis

14. Falcon

Falcon

hmm so really speaking your main issues are phos and alk.ok so I havent tried phospad yet maybe switch to granules and see if that works as ive had great results with them.

As for the alk well why not get mag tested by your lfs and if its low then add some magnesium with alk only to reach equilibruim. then maintain with your two part and magnesium dosage if needed?

Recent Posts