calcium levels

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by roderigo, 22 Jan 2012.

1. roderigo

roderigo

hay guys my cal readung is 435 is that a problem coz i know it must be 450 tanks been runing for about 4 months now n ot much live stock in yet pls advice:p

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

was just thinking if it can wait a week or so then ill do a 10 % water change with nsw will this bring it back up to 450?

4. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

You must have 450mg calcium? Who said so? It is bullshit!!!!
    NSW has got a calcium level of 380 to 400mg/l. If you had 450mg/l, you will bring down your ca level with every water change.
    You should have calcium in the range of 350 to 450 mg/l. All depends what livestock you are keeping.

5. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

oh ok then my tank could of been at this level from start as i stated it with nsw

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Anything from 380-450 is fine as far as I know. Just remember to check your kH as well.

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Definitely a misperception that Ca should be anything above 400, even 380 is acceptable. 4cientific studies have shown that corals only start showing signs of stress at levels below 360. Regardless of where you choose to maintain calcium, the importance is to maintain it at that level.
    Your system will consume calcium at a ceratin rate, i.e. x ppm per day/ hour, etc, and that is what you need to replace.
    The only reason that levels above 380 is advocated, is to a) Have a buffer to prevent it dropping below safe levels and
    b) increase sales of calcium raising products.

The belief that higher Ca levels increase coral calcification rates is nonsence too.

On another nte : If you have been using Cpt nsw, I suspect your kit may be giving slightly high readings.

8. Tony

Tony

Between 380-450ppm. As long as this remains stable and doesnt fluctuate a lot there will be no problems

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The Ca level one strives for should be consistent with other parameters. Salinity is one. The lower the salinity the lower the Ca should be.

Recommendations of calcium levels are quoted at a salinity of 35ppt. For proper balancing of Ca and Kh to avoid precipitation the target calcium level is normally recommended at 420 ppm to allow for a dKH of 8.25

If the Ca level is 380ppm then a balanced dKH level is below 4
    If the Ca level is 400ppm then a balanced dKH level is 5.5
    If the Ca level is 420ppm then a balanced dKH level is 8.25
    If the Ca level is 440ppm then a balanced dKH level is 11.5

So when a Ca level of 420 is recommended it is normally because one wants to try and maintain an alkalinity of dKH 8 and a pH of 8.3 all at a salinity of 35ppt.

Yes, Mg also plays a part in the target values and the dKH. In the above we should be looking at Mg 1300ppm.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2012
  10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Now I suppose you want to know why Ca is recommended to be 420ppm?

Natural sea water has an Alkalinity of 2.5 meq/L (7.0dKH). Maintaining correct Alkalinity is crucial for coral calcification uptake as well as a buffer for falling pH.

Now to keep the dKH up to the 7-8.5 dKH target, and balanced and stable. A Ca of 420ppm and Mg of 1300 is the easiest way of maintaining this.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2012
  11. mandarinman

mandarinman

wow nemos janitor thank you for that info I appreciate the effort ! I certainly didn't know the balanced ratios

Recent Posts