calcium and top up water

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by xtreme, 15 Dec 2010.

1. xtreme

xtreme

Hi guys

yip again was doing nothing and just staring at the tank to cycle faster and was thinking:p

you use a calcium reactor to drop the pH to act with the calcium media right ok in this case you can regulate it.

what if I just put some media in my top up tank with a small circulating pump, will this work or do you think it can increase the calcium to much?:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

manual dosing of a powder form cal/mag supplement is the way i would go for now.

just to give the corraline a head start.

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

that wont work, the lowering of PH dissolves the media and releases carbonates etc...

what you are looking for is Kalk, look at broghtwells Kalk +2 it has calcium, mag, and strongtium all in one

5. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Do got calcium powder, but was just wondering, RO water pH is about 5-6 so why not.
    Didn't do it, just thinking of it:p

6. Achilles

Achilles

R/0 water will dissolve your Calcium but not as effectively as a properly designed calcium reactor. I also doubt it will dissolve enough if you have a lot of calcifying organisms, my top up resercvoir does contain aragonite( it doesnt dissolve as fast as in Calcium reactor) the reason i do this is not to add calcium but to buffer the R/o up abit so it doesnt start to deplete my alkalinity.

R/o water is mineral deficient it is also acidic so it eats up the carbonate hardness along with the nitrogen cycle acids produced in the aquarium

Also when you say calcium powder media i assume you mean crushed coral chips and not calcium chloride, calcium chloride must be added carefully in the correct dosage and it boosts calcium not carbonate.Kalkwasser boosts both calcium and carbonate but must be added very slowly and in a correct dosage or you will add to much and harm your aquarium life ( it has a very high ph)

Last edited: 15 Dec 2010
  7. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Now that is some great info Achilles.
    Thanks

8. Tony

Tony

I remember a few years ago just using aragonite in my DSB for that sole purpose. With the p.H drop below 8.2 it would cause the aragonite to dissolve, maintaining the p.H, KH, magnesium and other parameters. I never had any issues but this will only work in a softie dominated tank where the calcium consumption is low

Recent Posts