Calcium and alkalinity

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Momo, 25 Jul 2013.

1. Momo

Momo

Ok so finally got some test kits.

Now got calcium level 550ppm and alkalinity of 5dKH. no idea why calcium is so high as i have not been dosing anything?

magnisium is at 1300ppm

so basically i need to increase alk, was thinking just baking soda but from what i have been reading the balance between calcium and alk i would have to raise it to 30dKh??? for that level of calcium and then leave it to lower together or do i raise to alk to say 12 until the calcium comes down? also how quickly can i raise the alk per day?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Which salt? Seachem reef?

Just increase your alk to between 7-9, at no more than 0.1-0.5 per day, find a value and keep it there. Stability is key with Alk, this will also help keep Ca and Mg stable

4. Momo

Momo Thread Starter

using tropic marin pro reef..

ok so raise it over the next week or two. so is baking soda fine to use? and anyone know what the dosage would be?

5. 3dd

3dd

This chemistry calculator will help you too calculate the dose for a few products.

Comes in quit helpful,

Recent Posts