cabinet design help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by gaboon, 2 Dec 2009.

1. gaboon

gaboon

Ok its more of a sleeve than a cabinet, have to do it myself to save costs. First pic is the basic look of it. Haven't decided on finish, just want to get the design right.

[​IMG]

This is the front view, the red line is the stand,
    [​IMG]

Side view x 2
    [​IMG]

Both front and sides are 70mm wider on each side to allow for the top pieces
    [​IMG]

This is a top view, blue area is tank/stand
    [​IMG]

Now, front piece, 2 side pieces and top pieces edges are all cut at 45 degree angles so they all have a flush join.

Can this work? What is the best way to tack the pieces together?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

looks good but you might wanna think about adding doors or something, otherwise you will be taking the whole sleeve/cabinet off every time you wanna look at something under the tank.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Cool software you are using.

You might find yourself accessing sump area more often that you think. And to pull complete cabinet forward 2m just to get to the sump will be a bit of a schlep

I like the idea of a loose cabinet that can be moved out of the way totally when needed. And it looks smooth and neat.

But not for me. Will ensure that either both sides have smaller independant doors in them (opening towards the wall), or that they can act like doors. But when opened it should be out of the way. Especially the one at the window.
    Or the front panel have a door or 2 doors in it.

Maybe a frame with 4 doors that will give you that look. So that you can either open just one door, or pull back complete frame when needed.

5. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks for commenting, forgot to add the cabinet will be on casters, so easy to slide out. Would like to add doors but as I'm doing this myself I have to keep it as simple as possible, Will prob use shutter ply and have it cut to size by timber city. How accurate should they be especially with the 45 degree angles?

6. Falcon

Falcon

ask your local board place if they can cut it like that....

oh and removing it like a sleeve is what i have on my one tank and i find it very easy to work on my sump...

if its just to check then you just peek in from the top by moving it slightly

and remove it only when you want to work in the sump unhampered.so im with it as in practice i found the sleeve to work great.

that 45 degree angle has to be quite accurate so that you wont have a gap between the tank and sleeve showing at places.

Recent Posts