cabinet builder or easy DIY plans?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by gaboon, 27 Oct 2009.

1. gaboon

gaboon

I need to make a cabinet to cover the tanks steel stand, I've been quoted over 7k to have one made but that is hellish expensive. Who knows someone capable and reasonable? Does someone have simple plans/ideas I could take to timber city?

Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

I would rather get the cabinet maker to do it, generally get a much better finnish.....

I paid R2.5 - R3K for mine from some local, was 630(d) x 900(h) x 1400(l) with 4 doors, and looks pretty good!

4. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks bro, I would be happy to pay that. Maybe I must just look around. Can you post a pic or 2?

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

its not rocket science if all the wood is cut to size and straight.. unfortunatley it does take time to come out with a quality finish..

6. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Time doesn't worry me, its the ability:p

Some more info please
    • What wood is best
    • What sealer
    • How do you put it together? (nails, wood glue etc.)
    • What else do I need to know (Guess who never excelled in industrial arts)

7. inflames

inflames

Hi Gaboon,

Have a look at my tank thread. I am not sure where you are from, but I got all the wood cut (Marine Ply) to spec and assembles it myself. Also included a hood for my lights. It a cabinet for my 4 foot tank. Did the painting (varnishing) myself. Total cost for materials was about R550 total!

8. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks dude, will have a look

9. inflames

inflames

I made it with some advantages, easy to remove for major cleaning and strong. Will never deteriorate with the salt (because its marine ply wood!) PM me if you want more details of exact specs and measurements! What size tank do you have?

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude id advise shutterply (marine ply is like R1200 a sheet) wheras shutter is like R250 to R300.. (you will need approx 2 sheets) once it is painted /sealed it is just as durable for the intended use.. you would need to use iron on edging to hide the laminated look on the edges. for decorative edging and finishing's use pine 9this can be routered) and then paint/ stain to the colour you are looking for..

11. Adee

Adee

Have a look at my thread, I can recomend the guy that did my setup....u also welcome to have a visit and look as well. Did the majority of the cabinetry in meranti and is well insulated against the corrosive sale elements, especially on the inside.

12. inflames

inflames

Shoo.. Leslie.. you are getting RIPPED off good and solid for Marine Ply!!:whistling: I paid R360 for a whole sheet that they cut to size perfectly. Didn't even charge me for cutting. :yeahdude:Was 16mm Marine Ply be the way!.

13. durleo

durleo

I think you used Shutter Ply Dude - It looks almost the same but Marine Ply Has laminated layers. It is used to line 40ft Cargo Containers and it is expensive.
    Laminated ply works just aswell when painted with velvaglo or so - Jus make sure you let it dry properly outside cos the smell is hectic.

14. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

How do u put the wood onto the stand? Screws? Poprivets? Glue? How do the cabinetmakers do it?

15. Drk

Drk

U make a sleave that covers only the front and sides. like a u shape it fit from the front if you do not know you will think it is a cabinet but only a cover board. You can design the doors everthing as per the stand and the places you want to reach. Easy to move to clean under the stand and around the equipment.

16. lIghty

lIghty

Inflames, I tend to agree with Leslie and Durleo, Marine ply is over R1K a sheet, I think they sold you shutter.

Will post a pic tomorrow Gaboon, will also try find out what wood it is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

17. Johan van Aardt

Guys why not just use weatherproof board? Its about 400 rand a sheet of 12 mm thick. Its the closest u get to marine ply and handles water well even when not sealed.

18. lIghty

lIghty

weatherproof board? Never heard of it before, Think it might be shutter you talking about?
    Posted via Mobile Device

19. Johan van Aardt

i know u get shutterply this usually has pine or some kind of wood on the outside wich gives it good finishing. if u have a penny pinshers close by fone them and ask we got ours there

20. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks bro

21. inflames

inflames

Hi Durleo,

I used Marine ply. There is a big difference between the 2. ;)Marine ply is sheets of pine (usually 1.5 - 2 mm each) bonded together sheet on sheet with the wood grain running at 90 degree to each layer (this is for stregth) it is treated to stop wood destroying fungi. With 16mm marine ply there is 8 - 10 individual sheets bonded together.

Shutter ply is lengths of solid pine glued together and has a sheet of 2 ply plywood (usually cross bonded) on iether face. This is usually 5 layers in 20mm format!

Most of the cabinet makers use the same type of priciple used in kitchen cupboards. Chipboard that is laminated. The finish is done in the factory and you purchase the sheet in whatever colour and finish your like. Edging is then "ironed" onto the exposed sides (once been cut) to give it a nice finish. Problem with this is that over time if any water gets under the laminate or edging it swells and pops at the seams!:(. Hope this helps!:thumbup:

I varnished my Marine Plywood with woodoc once assembled. It is woodoc 50 (marine sealer) that I mixed with the Ebony tint (as the varnish is clear) to get the almost black look of the cabinet!

Recent Posts