C2C vs Corner Box

Reaction score
Hi All

Busy planning a new tank and have sort of decided on 1480x850x700 LWH and just trying to decide on what overflow I will use - I do not have any space for an external overflow so need to have it in tank I'm thinking of the following -

Option 1 - 2 overflow boxes in either corner with 40mm holes and a sort of Dorso to keep things quiet.

Option 2 - As above but 1 bigger box with 2 x 40mm holes

Option 3 - C2C with 2 40mm holes

I know a C2C is hard to do as it has to be 100% level and I have one in my current tank and my lawnmower blennies keep on jumping in it - I have also had a baby clown jump in it and go down the overflow and getting stuck at the ball valve and that really pissed me off as I feel it's the tanks design that killed the poor guy. I will probably run either an OR2500 or OR3500 for a return pump...

What can you all suggest?

That seems to be a problem with the C2C, i know DR's fish often visit the over flow aswell. Do you have a grid across the overflow?
Personally i still like the C2C for better surface skimming.

No I don't - I was under the impression that this affected the C2C from working as intended? I was thinking of having a C2C with teeth but wont this affect the skimming?

Sims,

IMO C2C is the definately the way to go. Teeth will help with fish jumping into overflow. From th eresearch I have done before making mine, I believe that Better Surface Skimming = Better Protein SKimming.

Why do you have a ball valve on your overflow pipe? Why would you want to restrict your overflow water?

Sims,

IMO C2C is the definately the way to go. Teeth will help with fish jumping into overflow. From th eresearch I have done before making mine, I believe that Better Surface Skimming = Better Protein SKimming.

Why do you have a ball valve on your overflow pipe? Why would you want to restrict your overflow water?

Bacause I have my skimmer fed from the overflow.... it's shit I know but the new tank will be better.

How hard is it to put the overflow in? I will be doing this myself as I want it done perfectly?

Can I use perspex for the overflow instead of glass?

How hard is it to put the overflow in? I will be doing this myself as I want it done perfectly?

Not hard at all if you get the perspex precut.

Sure you can. The you don't have to worry about painting or covering with ABS or anything. Just use black (or whatever colour you want) perspex from the start.

Sims IMO C2C is the way to go. C2C is no different from a normal overflow in that you should have some form of mesh / barrier across the top to stop fish from going over.

It doesn't effect the overflow in anyway, it just raises the water level slightly depending on what you use. Eggcrate generally is quite big so doesn't effect the water level too much. The finer the teeth, the more restistence it puts on water, the higher your water level in the tank rises. This is not a problem as long as you have allowed for clearance in your tank design.

I haven't put anything across mine and as Alan has mentioned I have fish that visit my overflows. Funnily they tend to learn that it's not somewhere they want to be and after I've fished them out they stay out of it, except my Tilefish. He's worked out a way to get in and out of the overflow on his own. He goes in there to snack on pods and other life and comes back out when the restuarant closes. Stressed me out at first but now I don't worry about it. I've put an eggcrate mesh across the intake of the Durso's to stop snails and fish from going into the overflows and down to the sump, and that was worked well so far.

Bacause I have my skimmer fed from the overflow.... it's shit I know but the new tank will be better.

Just a word of caution silicone does not stick to perspex that well.

Just a word of caution silicone does not stick to perspex that well.

Yes that is correct. Mine works but there isn't a hell of a lot of pressure on the overflow, so silicone was ok for me.

But for a larger setup, I would advise you rather use a glue that is meant for perspex/glass bonds.

Back
Top Bottom