Buying water vs buying an RO unit

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by ScottK, 2 Sep 2011.

1. ScottK

ScottK

Has anybody done the calculations on how much saving if any there are to buying your own RO unit opposed to buying water (both RO and salt) at the LFS.

Is there a rough estimate of how many liters a 1kg, 2kg, 10kg etc box of salt mix equates to in liters?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

x kg of salt to x liters depends on the brand and the desired SG. Having your own RO certainly saves time and is more convenient

4. Hermanus

Hermanus

Buy your own ro unit!!!!! 1kg salt makes plus minus 30l of water .

5. pXius

pXius

RO unit is cheaper. I personally top up 5L a day. Thats 150L or R150 (working on R1 a L) a month not including my weekly 100L water change.

If I had to buy water, not including the salt it would cost me R550 a month including water changes.

So a RO unit in my case pays itself in less than 3 months.

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

RO unit all the way!

7. Tony

Tony

Some pet stores will make sw to a lower specific gravity to stretch the salt and may not change the RO filters and membranes often. If you buy your own you can mix things to your liking and guarantee your water purity as you are in control. After the initial expense it does work out cheaper to make your own water

Last edited: 3 Sep 2011
  8. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

My total system volume is around 150L, I do about 3-4L top up every day and 20L water change weekly, so I am using around 250 litres per month.

I currently am paying R1 per litre on RO and R2.50 on salt (no clue what salt mix they are using), I do make them check the salinity with a refractometer.

What brand of salt miix do you guys recommend? I have been buying Tropic Marine in the 1Kg boxes for when I need to bump up my salinity a bit. Are there any other brands that are better value?

Are any brands of RO units better than the next? I know the waterboy units come highly recommended and this is what I will probably go for but I have also seen the Aquaria units that seem to be quite well priced.

9. Tony

Tony

Marco's units are brilliant and reasonably priced and make water with just about 0 TDS.

ScottK likes this.
  10. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

@Tony thanks very much, you've help me make my mind up :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Tony

Tony

Cool, tell Marco I want my commision:whistling:. Just kidding. A RO unit is like a solar geyser. It's an initial outlay but it saves you money in the long run

12. crispin

crispin

the other very important aspect of having your own RO unit not yet mentioned is that you can make and store RO at will. when you hit a power outage on a friday and cant get to store to buy RO to do big water changes a RO unit will save your tank.

13. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

The only disadvantage of having a RO unit at home is the initial cost.
    Advantages are.
    Control over the quality of your water.
    Cheaper in the long run.
    Store water for emergencies. I have a 500L drum that i fill with RO and then drain from there for my tank.
    Able to buy salt in bulk - works out cheaper.
    It can give you filtered water to drink, personally i wouldn't drink RO, for drinking water i tap off just before the membrane.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For info: Water topup is about 10% per week.

Well, going against what everybody else said. How mush water per week do you need: 40L.
    For so small system, your water need is not that enormous. Two drums per week.
    For the extra effort to setup RO unit, drum for RO water. Drum to do the salt mix. Space needed for that. Then that almost nullify the gain in having your own RO unit.

Only down side is that you have to go to the LFS every week, and we tend to walk out with more than just the water.

maxisoft likes this.
  15. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

I don't know why but my top up is a lot more than 10% per week. I siphon RO from a 25L drum into 5L bottles, I am easily using 75% of a 5L bottle every day. I am filling the 25L at least once a week at the LFS.

16. archiecrain

archiecrain

+1 your R50 RO water purchase turns to R300+ NOSE BLEED:lol:

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

It does depend on a lot of factors. But 10% is a good estimate.

Things like fans, increased evaporation. open algae scrubber. Ambient room temperature. Seasons. Humidity.

Strange, but the winter evaporation rates is slightly higher than summer.

18. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

This is basing it on price and you haven't factored in petrol costs, over and above the costs the most important factor is you have control over the quality of the water you putting into your system.

19. Seabass

Seabass

Petrol was the main reason for me, not that I am far from my supplier, it was a schlep taking containers in, then he is out of RO, not often but it happened, so two trips to get water.

Now every 2nd weekend I do the RO thing. Top up my RO chamber in my sump once a week.

LFS probably use to see me more than his kids, miss you guys. Lol

20. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

RO Unit FTW :thumbup:

21. mytank

mytank

I use to buy RO water and it became a pain - also I wanted purified drinking water so I just went and bought one (Still need to fit it as it arrived yesterday...)

Just get one. You never know when you need to make a emergency water change and then the pet store is closed......

@the waterboy sells them ping him excellent pricing

Recent Posts