Buying Phytoplankton nutrient medium + axenic (pure) cultures

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Skattejag, 12 Aug 2013.

1. Skattejag

Skattejag

I would like to know who might be interested in buying Phytoplankton nutrient medium Guillard's F/2 (that I've sourced locally). It's in a powdered form and will keep for a long time if stored properly (years). Since 1kg bag = 10,000L of F/2. I suppose depending on the interest we can split a 1kg bag into 100g bags and then post them to interested people (100g = 1,000L F/2). A 1kg bag will cost R201 (excluding packaging/shipping)

Instructions: "You add the 1kg bag of Cell-hi (F/2 powder) to 9+ litres of distilled water to make up a 10L solution / nutrient medium. Then when you use the Cell-hi (F/2 powder) for culturing purposes, you add 1ml of the nutrient medium to 1L seawater."

Storage: Keep out of direct light, eg. in an aluminium bag, ice-cream tub etc., Do not heat for extended periods (hours), i.e. keep in the refrigerator, prevent moisture from coming in contact with the powder (it will form clumps), a desiccant may be added to the same container (not to the F/2) . One can also store in it's dissolved form (in distilled/ RO water), but then the solution needs to be sterilized (via. pressure cooker for approx. 15 min per litre)

How much F/2 would you like to buy, in kg?

I have found someone who is willing to supply axenic (pure) starter cultures. We can sort that out later.

I'm in PE. And the aforementioned person is in Cape Town, whilst the F/2 supplier is in Gansbaai. So I will need someone to collect the F/2. I won't be able to go to Cape Town for a while. Shipping the axenic cultures might be a bit involved as we'll need test tubes/ glass bottles to contain the cultures then the cultures need to be transferred aseptically to the containers. However, the containers must first be sterilized. Then we need to ship them (preferably overnight and that can be expensive) in styrofoam/ insulating material. A person must then use aseptic technique to transfer the starter culture to the culture vessel and ensure that the tubing has been properly sterilized if they want an axenic (pure) culture, not containing bacteria. If they don't then much of the above may be skipped.

I have sent PMs to several people. They don't have to post in this thread (unless they want to).

For more info see: Phytoplankton cultures/ media / equipment - Marine Aquariums South Africa

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Skattejag

Skattejag Thread Starter

5. Skattejag

Skattejag Thread Starter

@Avatar9 : How much F/2 would you like to buy, in kg?

6. Skattejag

Skattejag Thread Starter

bump

7. Skattejag

Skattejag Thread Starter

We've got 6 people so far...

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

the response may be due to the concern of if it is legal to supply and buy a SA planktonic culture. Does the supplier have permits/rights etc.

Please check with the authorities and post here your experience. We as reefers truly need input of this nature. :thumbup:

Last edited: 13 Aug 2013
  9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I disagree. Those laws do not relate to the aquarium hobby, they are for large scale commercial operations.

MASA FULLY supports breeding and fragging and propagation in our hobby and will continue to promote and encourage these activities until such time as we receive a Cease and Desist letter from the government informing us to refrain from encouraging illegal activities.

Frag on :punk:

Last edited: 13 Aug 2013
  10. Skattejag

Skattejag Thread Starter

@Nemos Janitor : I don't believe that permits for buying/ selling plankton are required, from the previous message I posted on the legality of culturing phytoplankton, but I'll look into it.

@viper357 : Thanks for your support.

11. Skattejag

Skattejag Thread Starter

bump

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Guys I 100% support what Dean is saying. It will be great if we can frag, trade without the fear of some law turning around and biting us in the behind. I posted to express caution, not fear or threat in any way.

I know from an import point of view one has to have import permits for marine cultures. I have gone down that road with an attempt to import Phytoplankton and other live foods. The importing of live and frozen foods requires a permit. As do pet medications. They have to be registered.

Please do not get the impression that I am trying to stifle your efforts. I think you are doing a superb job that will benefit all. Just do not want to see another good reefer get into issues like some of our members on MASA.

I am sure that with all the great work you have done you will check into it. Hopefully opening the way for all to follow.:thumbup:

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Should your product be legal I will support you. The industry needs to support SA product.

14. Express Reef

Express Reef

@Goby:whistling:

15. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

If the cultures are coming from CTN it's not importing right???

The Sea Point Research Aquarium are culturing phyto & rotifer & would be perfectly legal to recieve a start culture from them.

Something to think about... :tt2:

Last edited: 14 Aug 2013
  16. Braco

Braco

ok lets think...;)

17. Skattejag

Skattejag Thread Starter

@Nemos Janitor : I don't intend on selling the continuous culture system atm. It's just and idea I want people to try, so that more people might become interested in culturing.

I think that culturing phytoplankton/ zooplankton would be a good idea, since it would allow for a closer approximation to natural reef conditions. Also this may seem a bit far-fetched, but a simple food-chain could possibly be constructed once the phytoplankton primary producers have been established. The main problem would be that this would likely be labour-intensive atm. By simply adding phytoplankton to an aquarium already containing zooplankton (copepods etc), in a refugium for example, one would already be supporting the established food-chain since the population of the primary producer would be the limiting factor.

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Great. :thumbup: The more people that grow phyto and zoo for their own use the better. IMO. I am sure you will agree that one needs to be responsible in the process so please put out as much knowledge as you can regarding, the culture process and the control process. Both from a failed batch disposal and contamination point of view.

Great reading your work.

PS a heads up. Public aquaria and scientific institutions, as far as I know, are not permitted to trade, sell, ....... They may get into issues.

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

For all those pm'ing/spamming members about buying phyto, it will be considered as commercial posting. Please conduct sales on the correct section and abide by agreed upon forum rules.

20. jclaas

jclaas

I was recently informed by authorities that we are allowed to do so as long as we do not sell :).

21. jclaas

jclaas

@Skattejag

Did you ever come right with obtaining the fertilizer. I was under the impression that you will let me know...

Thanks

Recent Posts