Buying Hardware from E-bay

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by FransSny, 27 Sep 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Hi guys, was surfing e-bay and looked at marine aquarium hardware...prices are excellent compared to buying local (no offence to the sponsors)

Is anybody getting their stuff from e-bay and if so any pro's or cons

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

I've bought plenty of stuff besides aquarium stuff - buying for about 7 years now - recently got my boyu submersible air pumps from hong kong - Ok prices are much better but put the shipping on the time you have wait and the fear of something happening to it and then honouring the guarantee - too much just too much headache - you can even order livestock from overseas and they give you a arrive alive guarantee! But the costs and the risks - I now am buying stuff that don't have alot have electronics - like my latest purchase - a his and hers diving knives (R150) including postage from USA - I'm thinking what can go wrong with that order - only time will tell should be here 2 weeks - I've come to the conclusion with this hobby to try and support as many of our sponsors as possible - cut a clean deal with them and let the guys know if you getting a better deal elsewhere - there's no need to badmouth any sponsor but if you not getting your stuff regularly from someone because of prices not being fair - they will get the message soon enough - again remember our sponsors do this for a living and sometimes it's worth it to negotiate but lets not forget the risks that come with running such a business and their running costs!

4. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

I hera you dude, as far a possible I would always support the sponsors and the LFS's (actually when I was in a fix for a new skimmer my LFS gave me a TS3 for the same price as the sponsors, although his "List price" was more)

The only reason I was looking / asking is I am thinking going electronic test kit route and it doesnt seem like a lot of guys in SA carry those.

BTW..why a His & Hers knife set ;)

5. lIghty

lIghty

I've never found anything for our tank of great interest, only crappy skimmers etc.... Am I looking in the wrong place?

But hear what you saying Chika.

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ones shocking pink and the other deep blue - was thinking of getting the wife involved more with snorkling so I dont have to make any excuses to go to the beach!

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Very fancy stuff available and very competitive prices - but as the above reasons - too scared about honouring gaurantees!

Recent Posts