Buying Camera equipment / Lenses in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Technology' started by lIghty, 31 Dec 2011.

1. lIghty

lIghty

Hi All

I'm going over to HK end of febuary and I'm wanting to buy some camera equipment while there.

Do any of you have any good reliable contacts there?

I've got one who has offered very good pricing and I've read on the net he is decent, reliable and honest, but I would like to compare with others.

I know that Canon SA will not honour any warranty (even international) on Canon good unless buoght here in SA, which I feel is total BS!!!, but is the chance i'm willing to take, and buying "L" series I hope the quality will prove itself.

Any other pros / cons or thinks I should be aware of?

Thanks

Justin

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Bare in mind that you get good copies, bad copies and medium bad copies. Make sure you know how and where to look, as they all look pretty much like the real maccoy. Friend of mine flies to China twice a month and believe me if I say that he showed me some stuff that looks exactly like the real thing, but is not

4. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thx SK, I'm aware there are a few fakes around, but from what I've read they much lighter in weight.

5. mytank

mytank

They call it "authentic" but its "authentic copy". So be careful.

Nikon honors it regardless of where you have bought their cameras.

I am busy looking for a camera right now but torn because I love the Nikon D7000 but I know the D7100 is around the corner somewhere just not sure when or where!

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just remember the customs line when coming back into SA. They know if a plane comes from Hong Kong or Dubai, they stop almost everybody. European ports like Frankfort they not that interested.

I declare my laptop before I go, and always go through the red line, with laptop paper and say that I got my laptop i went out with. Always playing the first time traveller. And always they just say, its OK can go. Never bother me with what is in my bags. Except the one time when I had 2 big radio control cars that could not fit into anything. Also obvious to what they were. But keep the receipt as under certain values they do not care either.

7. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan, not too worried about custom, but a factor..... I'm just worried about quality and "what if" something breaks....

The 2 lenses I'm interested in getting:

24-105 L - Local R11000 - HK R7150 - Saving R3850

70-300 L - Local R15050 - HK R10500 - Saving R4550

Thats R8400 saving.

8. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

what does the 70-200 L IS f2.8 ii cost in hk ?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Take your camera and declare it as you fly out. When you back, just have camera and lenses all together in same bag. Throw away all packaging and slips for the lenses, or put is so far away....

10. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Last time I checked it was about R17 000, My brother in law that I'm going with is going to be buying one for his wife.

11. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

LOL, thought about declearing some coffee mug repilca's on the way out :p . Thanks for the tips :thumbup:.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2012
Recent Posts