Buying and Selling cautions!!!

Discussion in 'All For Sale and Wanted Forums' started by viper357, 6 Oct 2013.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

To all users, you need to be AWARE when buying or selling over the internet on the forum.

There are a few issues I need to highlight....

First off, there are too many cases of people getting sold different or incorrect items, sick fish etc. My advice to you, be 1000% sure you know what you are buying BEFORE you hand over any money, if you do not know the person, find someone else that you know that knows them, someone that has been around for a while, do not just blindly send a stranger money. Yes we like to think of each other as friends and family on the forum, but the truth is there are some nasties out there that couldn't care less what they sell. The majority of users are trustworthy, but it only takes one bad apple to ruin your whole experience of the forum and leave a sour taste in your mouth for the hobby, so be careful.

Take this for example from someone that sold a second hand skimmer...

There was no mention of any electrical issue in the sale. Nor was there a photo of it, the person buying it had no knowledge of this issue.

But when received, this is what met the buyer...

[​IMG]

When they received the skimmer and plugged it in it tripped the electricity. See video...

This issue was thankfully resolved :thumbup: but it was a nasty experience for everyone. I'm not blaming anyone in this issue, I am merely using it as an example.

It is due to issues like this that we are so hard arsed with people not posting pics of things for sale, we do it to try and protect everyone involved, not to be a pain in your backside.

So when buying from someone, before you hand over your hard earned money, Ask Questions, Ask for lots of photo's, Ask about any issues or repairs that have been done. If the seller is reluctant to give you any additional information or additional photo's then walk away from the sale, they may be hiding something.

Next issue...is buying from people that contact you via PM.

It is against the forums rules to sell to people via PM. If you are found to be doing this, you will be banned, no questions asked, no kissy kissy, no saying sorry, nothing. It is against our rules and it is grossly unfair to the sponsors that pay to advertise and sell on the website. For the private members you have the For Sale forum to freely use at your will. People that sell via PM obviously have something to hide, be it their identity or dodgy fish or crappy equipment, who knows, but there is a reason why they are not using the For Sale forum. MASA does not support backyard sellers, people that import a box or two of fish every now and again and sell them from their moms garage. If you buy from these people and something goes wrong, you're on your own, you have no recourse against them, yes you can say the Consumer Act protects you, but in all honesty, the amount of time you are going to spend trying to get your money back is just not worth it when you could have simply been more careful when buying.

If you buy from someone via PM, we WILL NOT help you, it is against the rules to buy and sell via PM, so if you do and it goes pear shaped, you're on your own I'm afraid. We will only assist where we can in a sale if the sale has been done in the For Sale forum.

If you are selling on this website we expect you to be upfront and honest in your sale, declare everything you know about anything you sell, if we find sellers that have been dishonest or devious or 'forgot to mention', your access to the sales forum will be removed.

And on a final note, please do not turn this thread into a debate about dibs. MASA has no stance on dibs, it is entirely up to you if you want to use it or not. If you are not willing to entertain dibs then state that in your thread. Simple. :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2016
    Ebi Omer likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bendor

Bendor

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Last edited: 6 Oct 2013
  5. seank

seank

Shocking.......

6. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

I think whoever selling something in that condition should be named and shamed, so here goes: Shame on you Reef Aquatics.

More detail about the sale:

A fellow CT reefer and MASA member recently was forced to break down his tank and desperately needed some cash. Out of the goodness of my heart I offered to help and put the skimmer up for auction.
    I was told that the skimmer is in good nick and taken his word for it.

Auction closed, with a winning bid of R650 and this full amount was given to the reefer we were helping. I asked the reefer to wrap the skimmer and I personally picked it up from him and dropped it off at our store ready to be dispatched by our courier company.

The buyer called at around 6pm the evening they received the terribly defective skimmer.
    I've apologized profusely and offered an immediate full refund for this purchase.

This was a lesson very hard learnt and quite a tarnish on our reputation we have built up to date.

The was a once off and came back to bite us badly. We will never be doing this again and will ONLY be selling second goods that I (Andre) have inspected and seen working.

Also please do not post anything more in this thread about Reef Aquatics, the above was just to shed more light to this disastrous sale and lesson well learnt.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2013
  7. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Thanks for that Andre.

Guys and gals, please don't focus on the story behind the skimmer, it was purely used as an example of how innocent dealings can go wrong and how extra vigilant you need to be when buying and selling over the internet without seeing the item up close and personal. Instead please focus on the intent of the post, to bring awareness.

The forum is getting busier every day, we can not keep track of everything, so don't be willy nilly in your dealings, there are far too many issues being brought to our attention lately. :)

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I am the buyer and this particular sale ended well, thank you Andre.

But lets focus on what went wrong and learn from these mistakes for everyone's benefit!

9. CyberSlakkie

CyberSlakkie

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Quintin

Quintin

I can sell you a generator that will work nicely with that skimmer.... :tt2:
    Skimmer goes on -> lights go off -> generator kicks in.... :thumbup:

All jokes aside; glad it worked out well for you man.;)

11. Zandy

Zandy

Yup i also agree, lets use the itrader and that should give other members an indication. I also bought something (a chiller in fact) that was leaking gas (which was never disclosed to me) i have learned a very very expensive lesson and i encourage the buyers to test the equipment prior to making payment.

12. Ajay

Ajay

:eek: some good points made

13. Maddy

Maddy

Hi guys. I hope this is where I can ask for help regarding selling? I've put items on the 'for sale forum' but they do not appear when I check in the classifieds (where I see other members' ads appear? What am I doing wrong?

14. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

15. Maddy

Maddy

Hi. Yes there is one more (400 litre) freshwater tanks. Only those two. Am I posting incorrectly?

16. Maddy

Maddy

Yes I see they have been viewed but if you go to classifieds you immediately see new adds? Or should I leave them as is?

17. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

hmm cause the marine cube one works fine. Try the other one again

18. Maddy

Maddy

Do I just send as previously? I see it also had views. How do you get ads in the classifieds then? Sorry I'm new at this.

19. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

aah now i see. When you create your thread you are the 1st view. The classified button only shows adverts you have not viewed yet. And since when you created the thread and became the first view it wont show there for you but will for others

But your fw tank is missing. Try doing that one again

20. Maddy

Maddy

That explains it thanx. Will do so. Thanx for the advice.

21. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

@Toolboysa its in junk yard..now both in junk yard so maybe delete opne and move one to hardware sales or something

Recent Posts