Buying a generator.

OK so it start at 0% to 125% over what time period? 10sec, 20sec?

Sorry, not with you here, Don't think I was clear....

Take it you working of the scale on screen, please ignore this as the wave is not "equalised" to scale, it is off set to be able to view the peak of the wave, What I was trying to illustrate was the poor wave format, all the noise/ripple voltage.

:thumbup: ok i see now what you mean
Newer start your Gennie under load thats why they end up in my shop burnt out!
even if it got a AVR it's not going to protect your pumps and lights and your avr will over heat
this is the one we make our self is the shop here you can see were it burnt
9954a07fcac9bb36.jpg

LOL, reminds me of Brettb2020 signature

"Every electronic device is made with smoke stored deep inside, only a true genius can find a way to set it free.":lol:

Ben, is an AVR an active or passive device and how does it "interface" with the generator.

Does it control the the armature like an alternator or does it simly "condition" the output power from the generator head?

Sorry only saw it now!
your AVR work like the excitation winding in your stator it generates power to your rotor (armature)when extra power is needed (starting and high load)
The AVR have lots of resisters and diodes that work like Gates that open and close to keep the HZ constant at 50 cycles
I'll take some pic for some nice examples.

if a Gennie have slip rings with brushes it can be converted to work with a AVR .But if your Gennie do not have brushes in it then it will have a AVR fitted all ready other wise it will not work. All the new small generators that is available on the Marget to day is all ready equip with AVR's.
This is a pic of a rotor and stator with slip rings and brushes.
9954a0944186dbcd.jpg

9954a0944a0c3fbb.jpg

and this is the types of AVR that you can find in your Gennie a sealed unite and the universal type.
9954a09462ab3754.jpg

thanks for the input, the Service agent for the Ryobi says it does NOT have an AVR, but says the model is "brushless"?

Just check to see what i could, It must have a slip ring as there are winding on the rotor which spins and windings on the stator which form part of the "housing".... So if I understand correctly, I could add a AVR to control the rotor voltage which inturn controls the gennies output.... correct?

The only way to truly rest easy is to get an inverter. A generator is also essential for longer outages but hopefully we wont have too many. At least the inverter will switch on automatically in a power failure. A gennie you have to manually turn on.

Regarding inverters sine wave argument. Yes pure sine is better and yes it is a hell of a lot more expensive. Remember that modified sine waves are not all the same (I think there is a scale of 0 - 1). A good quality modified sine wave is just fine IMO and will not cause much damage. If used consistently it could perhaps damage your pumps, but this is surely only to save your reef on the few occasions when there is an enexpected power outage. In the last year I have had less that 1 days power outages in total. I seriously doubt that my modified sine inverter is gonna cause too much damage. Serious saving IMO. Just be careful not to get a cheap rubbish inverter

Those Tedelex ones look good but are a bit pricy (at least when I was looking last year). I recently purchased an Inverex 600 W inverter with a Deltec deep cycle battery for about R2 500. There are options to have these made into a unit that look just like the Tedelex ones but cost a bit extra. I am quite happy with the inverter and battery as is I found mine on bidorbuy.co.za. There is an electronics dealer called Maiden Electronics who deal in these. They got a website too and really helpful.

Sorry only saw it now!
your AVR work like the excitation winding in your stator it generates power to your rotor (armature)when extra power is needed (starting and high load)
The AVR have lots of resisters and diodes that work like Gates that open and close to keep the HZ constant at 50 cycles
I'll take some pic for some nice examples.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew that there was some cleverness hiding underneith all that "Farmer" image, just had to wait for the right question from a member, even if it took almost a year :lol: :lol:

HA HA i might not know the difference between a clown and a angle but been in the Eng world for 20 years.
lighty the Ryobi Gennie's have AVR in some Gennie's have UPS and AVR in like the 2.2kva that Yamaha makes but cost R12000.00 thats what you need if you want to run a laptop our fish tanks will rune fin with the GAME SPECIAL GENNIE SALE!.

HA HA i might not know the difference between a clown and a angle but been in the Eng world for 20 years.
lighty the Ryobi Gennie's have AVR in some Gennie's have UPS and AVR in like the 2.2kva that Yamaha makes but cost R12000.00 thats what you need if you want to run a laptop our fish tanks will rune fin with the GAME SPECIAL GENNIE SALE!.

Cool, Thx Ben

Ben - lIghty - just a quick question regarding the use of a gennie.

You get current "filtering"/smoothing multi-plugs. Would it be worth it to use these type of multiplugs (those are the type one gets for electronics equipment as well - ie. those that Ellies manufacturers)?

Ben - lIghty - just a quick question regarding the use of a gennie.

You get current "filtering"/smoothing multi-plugs. Would it be worth it to use these type of multiplugs (those are the type one gets for electronics equipment as well - ie. those that Ellies manufacturers)?

I would imagine it would offer some more protection, but not a complete "fix"

The best is to use a constant volts transformer if you want to run a PC from a Gennie but only as a last resold
NB:(gennies is bad for pc)

Back
Top Bottom