buy your LR dead ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by roderigo, 9 Jul 2011.

1. roderigo

roderigo

Hi guys just want to know what the other guys have to say anyone use this type of live rock .This LR has only bacteria no critter or pests and its even more expensive than normal live rock so anyone using this type of LR?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seabass

Seabass

Sounds good to me, no pests. Just get dead rock with no bacteria, seed with a bacteria product like Prodibio Digest (< R 40 )

Can't understand how it can be more expensive than LR)?
    my 2 cents

4. Tony

Tony

Why not get base rock then which is a whole lot cheaper. That's all I have used in my tank with no problems and no unwanted hitchikers. The bacteria you can buy

Last edited: 10 Jul 2011
  5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Sounds like a scam to me...

Hennie

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

Dead rock is cheap, one of the main reasons for buying it. Caribsea sell boxes of base rock. You can get that or even DIY some rock if you have the time. Then you just use a bacterial additive. If the rock is more expensive than LR then you are being ripped off. I bought 25kg of dead kenyan rock for R600 on this forum. The caribsea stuff is about R900-1000 for 18kg

7. DudleyD

DudleyD

I think that with all the algae problems I have had that if I had to do it again I would make sure I only used dead rock as the others said - you guaranteed of not inheriting someone elses problems.

8. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

I know of two LFS that sell Indonesian LR that was killed and just bacteria added price 180 to 185 per Kg all rocks are bleach white

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

no thats too expensive. The price should be around 70-80. It would be cheaper to buy live rock here on the forum and boil it then leave in the sun, which is pretty pointless when buying live rock. Those guys are ripping you off. Rather get the caribsea rock

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Algae spores are everywhere (I read a scientific article once which described finding marine algae cells in the air some 1000km inland...), and even if everything else could be sterilized, you will be introducing them with the first coral or clam you add to your tank... so you would just be postponing the inevitable.

Instead of trying to fight nature, why not rather use nature to help you - most of the "life" you buy when you buy live rock actually EATS algae :whistling:

Hennie

11. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

i say buy good quality live rock.

12. 2balive

2balive

I did my previous tank with complete dead, dry (for years), bleached coral (thus ex-live) rock and seeded it with a commercial bacteria product.

I ended up with such a bad hair algae problem (and a outbreak of nudi's, that I suspect came from a zoa rock that was dipped) that I eventually closed down the tank.

Algae is not a factor of the rock you put in, but about how you run your tank (generalisation), hope I know more and do it better, and don't do some things, this time.

Would start with the best live rock you can find, with the most live on it, and manage it from there.

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

I say get a lot of dead rock (because its cheap) then seed it with a few kg of good LR. You get some good guys from LR also such as pods and brittle stars. :)

14. Braco

Braco

we will always have algae..whether good or bad...there are such a lot of ways to start up a marine tank..buy this LR buy this product...i have found to be in the marine trade to stick what works..for me as an individual..trail and error..

15. IMarine

IMarine

Hi there i will rater buy dead rock and its better than base rock as its more porus and yes free of all pest and yes shoould be cheaper than live rock as it will be lighter in weight ,if i got to sell from my dead live rock that i have about 150kg i will ask about R100kg as it is lighter and safer to use,what i do is before i setup tanks i boil all live rock in ro water to get it 100% clean then i sead it in mixed salt water for a week with a skimmer and add prime and bacteria daily for a week,with doing this i have no problems with phosphates or nitrates at all,as all my setups a stress with my clients to use phosphate remover and carbon

16. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Thanx for all the input I myself am starting a new set up just don't know what type of rock to go with dead or alive

17. crispin

crispin

get some good quality LR. if you can find a mature system where the reefer is shutting down thats the best, or else go to a LFS and get good quality LR for your tank. one of the best investments you can make with your tank :)

18. crispin

crispin

+1, excelently put :)

Recent Posts