Butterfly Fish in our Reef Tanks

Reaction score
Reefers,
We all pushing for such nice coral diversity in our tanks these days, and Angelfish have become a huge part of this being some of the most beautiful fish you can introduce into this mix.
Now Butteflyfish are definitely a great next challenge in the step towards combining everything that actually is seen on a natural reef.
I've done loads of research, and am actually ready to start introducing this species to my tank.
I would like to know how others have faired? what corals seem to be bullet proof against these notorious polyp munchers and see what luck others are having out there:)

Here is a few years ago article on it... but not much written about it since (If you search google?!)

Keeping butterflyfish in reefs: What to look out for and what to avoid

Last edited:
I got a Diphreutes butterfly fish. Best is you can keep 2 or 3 together, if you add them at the same time.

They are reefsafe. Just be careful not to get the acuminatus that is NOT reefsafe.

Last edited:
A good recent revisit by Bob. Well worth adding to your aquarium e-books collection.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Butterflyfishes-Marine-Aquariums-Robert-Fenner-ebook/dp/B00N6DNAP0"]Butterflyfishes for Marine Aquariums eBook: Robert Fenner: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HmEIqdVdL.@@AMEPARAM@@51HmEIqdVdL[/ame]

Good read that

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a Diphreutes butterfly fish. Best is you can keep 2 or 3 together, if you add them at the same time.

They are reefsafe. Just be careful not to get the acuminatus that is NOT reefsafe.

Been on the prowl for schooling Banners Riaan, but you never see them at an LFS or on lists.
Would certainly add one of those

One butterfly fish I would take w chance with is a chaetodon semilavartus...it's one of the prettiest butterflies in my opinion and it can be kept in pairs or small groups.

but you never see them at an LFS or on lists.
I got mine by luck. As it came in. And it was from a tank breakdown, so not even on a stock list for that pet shop.

I think I saw only once before 3 of them at a LFS, about 2 years ago. Moolis Pet Stop had them. Never saw them again. They are so awesome. I would have like 2 or 3 of them.

But yes, they do get whitespot easily. Best to start with them with the bucket method.

The Semilavartus are great.
Anyone tried some of the deepwater species?
Burgessi, Tinkeri, etc?
And C. Collare?

I had a Hemitaurichthys polylepis for many years fantastic fish both character and looks, never once picked at corals.

Back
Top Bottom