Butcherman's DIY LED build

Very nice video and project. As my lights need replacing soon and the group order option going out to rapid at the end of the month I am now interested in a led unit. My questions are as follows:
1. What if anything would you do differently now if you had the option to redo the project. You have mention things like mixing 60 & 80 degree etc. Any noticeable changes in technology that you would incorporate.

2. Can the LEDs be changed to other colours, see you use a glue so are you stuck with your original choice, trying to get away from a very white tank, I prefer blue. So I would like to have the option to change LEDs if I don't like the

3. Do you know how much you have saved in terms of electricity cost to date due to the change.

4. Do you want to go back to your old light unit:)

5. How high above the tank must these units be.

6. Please suggest the optimum selection of items I require for a DIY build using rapid as a supplier for my mixed reef. 120x60x60.

7. What will/should I get locally, wire plugs etc.

8. Have there been any noticeable diff now that you use LEDs, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks

Very nice video and project. As my lights need replacing soon and the group order option going out to rapid at the end of the month I am now interested in a led unit. My questions are as follows:
1. What if anything would you do differently now if you had the option to redo the project. You have mention things like mixing 60 & 80 degree etc. Any noticeable changes in technology that you would incorporate.For my tank i would go full 80 from the start due to the 450mm depth, its not really diffrent technology but just rather how you use the light in the end.
2. Can the LEDs be changed to other colours, see you use a glue so are you stuck with your original choice, trying to get away from a very white tank, I prefer blue. So I would like to have the option to change LEDs if I don't like the For easy of inter-change-ablity, Get a drilled and tapped heatsink and use the solderless kits. But be warned this WILL add to the cost of your build. I can change LED's on my build but there is PT involved....

3. Do you know how much you have saved in terms of electricity cost to date due to the change. I have not worked out exact numbers but the lighting consumption is half, and i did notice a few hunderd rands less on the electrical bill plus i didnt have to spend R2000 on replacement MH and T5 globes....

4. Do you want to go back to your old light unit:) :1confused:ummm no infact i would recommend LED's to someone starting out

5. How high above the tank must these units be. this depends alot on the optics used and size pf heatsink (spread of LED's) mine are about 380mm above the water this gave me the give fot print i needed, But recently I helped build anouther unit with a fellow reefer, alot bigger heatsink, no optics, 100mm above the water line
6. Please suggest the optimum selection of items I require for a DIY build using rapid as a supplier for my mixed reef. 120x60x60. first off dimmable and controllable are a definate must have on nice display tank. the typhoon is a cheap reliable and function rich stand alone controller. I recon about 48 Cree LED's (your colour choice) would be optimal. with 600mm depth i would also still mix the optics.
I would use 2 large heat sinks to give as big a foot print as possible without having to raise the unit to high above the water. then the standard stuff of drivers (dimmable PWM) thermal epoxy or paste dependind on your LED mounting options

7. What will/should I get locally, wire plugs etc. Extras might include thin wire, a few plugs, solder and soldering iron, wire or chain for mounting chocolate wire connectors. All depends how fancy and neat you wat to make the unit.

8. Have there been any noticeable diff now that you use LEDs, the good, the bad and the ugly. coral growth and colour have improved tremendosly, i have not noticed any bad besides bleaching of SPS because the LED's where to strong, problem solved by reducing the maximum output of the LED's

Thanks

I hope these help.

If only it wasnt so expensive!

If only it wasnt so expensive!

What is expensive @Tremayn? The cost of the parts? Compare my units to other powerful leds you will be surprised. Then calculate the yearly replacement costs on regular globes, and the reduction in electrical consumption. You may be surprised again at how affordable DIY LED's really are.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would an equivalent off the shelf plug and play unit cost you Butcherman?

What is expensive @Tremayn? The cost of the parts? Compare my units to other powerful leds you will be surprised. Then calculate the yearly replacement costs on regular globes, and the reduction in electrical consumption. You may be surprised again at how affordable DIY LED's really are.

yeah for the parts. Was adding a shopping cart up on future led and it came to $454 n that wasnt even a lot of stuff. The shipping is really killers from china. I think shipping from USA is cheaper?

lol its still way cheaper than buying a commercial led unit and even some normal T5 units like the ATI units..

just checked on aquastyle led. 108led (bridgelux) dimmable kit + shipping to SA comes to $360 .. Shipping is $59 were as with future led shipping is around $45 per item. With the cart I made the shipping was $150.

After exams I must get a student credit card lol

just checked on aquastyle led. 108led (bridgelux) dimmable kit + shipping to SA comes to $360 .. Shipping is $59 were as with future led shipping is around $45 per item. With the cart I made the shipping was $150.

After exams I must get a student credit card lol

The bridgelux leds aren't bad, but get Meanwell drivers!

2 units like mine plug n play about R20 000. I'd guess.

I thought about 16 K, but could be 20 k. So even if a person goes wild on an import DIY paying 6 k which should cover about all cost to the stage of completion and in use it's a bargin.

My only real concern is the DIY part. Lol. After sales as well.

But probably going to do it.
Thanks

Try price the radions or ai sol units with controllers. If you can find them new for 16k for 2, I might buy some :p
@butcherman, I've seen the radions go for 7.5k at perky, the cheapest I've seen but still way out of my league.:p

For us who don't speak LEDs, how do you simulate sunrise / sunset from left to right?

Edit: Oh heck I see you have already answered my question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom