But why??

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ShLiMi333, 4 May 2016.

1. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333

i cant get my ph up to normal levels.
    I am running sps with 2 Clowns. i have no desire to add more fish only softies

Kh 4.1Meq/l
    Ph 7.8
    Sal 1.026ppt
    Temp 25
    Mg 1390
    Ca 440

Please help. I also have brownish green aweful looking algae growing but that i sort out with NoPoX

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

A saltwater aquarium should generally be kept at a pH between 7.6 and 8.4, but the specific pH recommended for your tank may depend on the species you have in the tank. If you are keeping a reef tank, the recommended pH level may actually be higher – between 8.0 and 8.4.

Try dosing 8.4 from Seachem or run a kalk stirrer, you can even try to run a light in the sump on revers cycle

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

How are you measuring pH? If with a pen, is it calibrated properly?

Express Reef likes this.
  5. Express Reef

Express Reef

Carbon dosing may reduce pH levels... like I said try dosing 8.4, or make kalk water, only use the saturated water to dose, dont want the actual kalk in the tank or just get a kalk stirrer

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

NJH likes this.
  7. Vishaal

Vishaal

Got a kalk stirrer for sale if you decide to go that route

Last edited by a moderator: 8 May 2016
  8. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

i have a 100l nano with built in sump.

@Express Reef . Where can i get the 8.4 from?

@459b . I use Red Sea Pro ph test kit

@dallasg . Good read thank you

@Vishaal . Unfortunately my tank wont allow me to run anything external and space is limited to add anything internal.

I will keep an eye out for the Seachem 8.4 but in the meantime just run a airpump to add more oxygen. maybe see what that does for me.

For the algae issue can i add more than 1 hermit to my tank. i dont want them to fight over shiny wheels. i also have 2 snails but i feel that my cuc isnt enough and they are very slow.

also i haven't done a water change in 3 weeks. All the parameters are in check and perfect. only ph that suck the joy out of my day. Clowns are happy and eating like my Boerboel.

9. 2una

2una

Also the time you test it makes a differance..eg early morn before lights on it will be lowest......at lights out its likely to be at its highest.
    Around 08H00 is my low.....17H30 my high.....mines 7.8-8.2

Careful the Eight-Four & Kalk that will raise your ALK also
    Balance will raise PH without raising Alk but in my trials with it Ph will just fall back once you stop using it anyhow.

I fight Ph as i run a low Alk level & run a CO2 scubber on my skimmer suction line to keep myself out of the 7.7 area.
    Its the larger size canister filter filled with granules that absorb the Co2 passing thru it.
    Doesn't give alot of gain but does help.

Last edited: 4 May 2016
  10. Adrian B

Adrian B

Also that Red Sea PH test kit not the best in my experience. The one I had gave me a reading of 8,3. My recently calibrated probe gave me a reading of 7.7. Quite a difference if you keeping SPS.

11. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333 Thread Starter

Thanx guys. I just kept on keeping on. I also noticed that everything in this hobby is written in blood. you can take advice but every aquarium differs so its trail and error.
    Still no water change. dosed some Ca Mg and buffer and thats that. I added a airpump that i only run for 2 hours max next to the skimmer. It seems to work. when i dont run he airpump the ph drops yet i dont have much in my tank and i dont over feed

Previous stats
    Kh 4.1Meq/l
    Ph 7.8
    Sal 1.026ppt
    Temp 25
    Mg 1390
    Ca 440

Today
    Kh 4.5
    Ph 8.2
    Sal 1.026
    Temp 25.2
    Mg 1390
    Ca 465
    Po 0.08
    No 0.0

Ive still got hair algae but its a kaki color and noticed some red bubble algae and coralline algae. How do i get rid of the hair algae.i dont want to add a crab coz if the algae is gone there wont be anything else to graze on. I Thought of removing it manually.

12. CameL

CameL

sounds like hair algae is busy dieing if its gone to a kaki color, try to syphon out the bubble algae without it popping, haven't had too much of a problem with the red bubble algae but the green bubbles are a nightmare..

Recent Posts