Busy Beating Bryopsis

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, I thought I would share my little battle bryopsis for the past few weeks. I must say these are just my observations.

I have done the following and dont know which made a diffrence or not but here goes.

-Ran UV 24/7
-using 3 in 1 from WaterBoy Aqualibria phosphate remover-
-added an airstone in my overflow
-followed Surgeons advice and removed the tops of most of the algea so that the tangs would have a go at eating it
-added a new Naso tang
-added a Lawnmower blennie, He chows the algea something silly
-tuned skimmer to skim wetter
-reduced Photoperiod

These seemed to get rid of the bulk of the bryopsis, I still have some but it sems to be dying off.
Hope this might help someone having the same battle

Nice info kanga, thanks, maybe try upping your magnesium levels slowly to 1500-1600 to finish it off.

Nice info kanga, thanks, maybe try upping your magnesium levels slowly to 1500-1600 to finish it off.

Thanks OM Viper, I will give it a bash this week will get a magnesium Test kit on the morrow

Right Magnesium is sitting at 1000PPM going to raise it 25ppm a day until i get to 1500ppm.

Do you agree?

What are you using to raise it? Magnesium Sulphate or Magnesium Chloride?

RedSea Magnesium

"contains Blended magnesium salts" or so it says

Ok, once your magnesium hits about 1500-1600, you need to hold it at that level for about 3 months, you should see a slight increase in the plants mass initially but then it will begin to dissolve away. It will also play a little havoc with your alk for the time but should be an easy fix when you are done. Your calcium may also increase slightly.

You can quite safely increase it by 50ppm per day.

I haven't tried it yet but a few guys overseas have had great success using this method.

Thanks OM Viper, I will give it a bash this week will get a magnesium Test kit on the morrow

Kanga, if you using a powdered supplement (highly recommended as you will use quite a bit less) then dosing is as follows.

100g/100l water volume will raise magnesium by 100ppm. If you tell me your water volume I can let you know how much to dose approximately.

You can safely raise magnesium levels by around 100ppm/day

Clinton

How's the dosing going, have you reached 1500 yet?

Viper I have been adding enough to raise by 50ppm every second day or so.

I will test on Friday when i am home again

Be interested to see if there is a difference in the Bryopsis. Some of the reports that I have read the guy's started noticing a regression in bryopsis after 3 or 4 days

Yah will test in the morning got home last night and had to catch up on some "chores" :):)

Hey Kanga any luck with this method?

I don't know if there has been any improvement but I saw his tank over the weekend and he still has bryopsis, but it does seem to be thinned and not flourishing.

ive spent 3 hours today removing rocks from my tank and scrubbing away.well thats like 1/4 of the tank :lol:

I have a rather severe infestation in my 1m that I am struggling to beat, so anything that will help I will try...

Thanks for the info there. I am battling with an algea that looks almost like feathers that grows in clumps. Going to try raise the mag as well. I am skimming wet, running phosphate think I will add the UV as well.

Back
Top Bottom