Bulkhead vs. male-female adapters

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by neo, 22 Oct 2009.

1. neo

neo

Howdy,
    what is the diffs between a bulkhead fitting and normal male-female adaptors?
    why would one use a bulkhead fitting in place of the male-female adaptors?
    the oak bulding my tank had a 50mm hole drilled and is installing male-femal adaptor.

N.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Neo - a bulkhead, is a "Screw-type" fitting, with some decent rubber/nylon washers - to enable you to connect piping through a hole drilled in glass....
    The bulk-head fitting is only there for connecting piping/plumbing through vertical material, ie. tank glass..... (ok - can be through horizontal material too)........

4. neo

neo Thread Starter

Jacques, thx.
    i can achieve the same with the male-female adaptors so what makes the bulkhead better, my tank is bottom drilled - is this why?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The rubber seal on a bulkhead should be a lot better that whatever the guy wants to use to seal the male and female adaptor. Remember the rubber side of bulkhead goes at the inside or water side of the tank.

That is actually the job for what a bulkhead was designed for. So do what the engineers and clever people had worked out already is the better solution.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

a standard bulkhead fitting wont allow for a durso to be fitted.. you need to make up this up out of a few pieces should you want one..

i normally use.

1 x threaded nipple
    2 x backing nuts
    2 x thread to socket fittings

the threaded nipple is postioned by screwing the 2 ack nuts on (siliconed to the glass to form a good seal)

then the threaded straight adaptor to socket is either siliconed on or sealed with thread tape..

piping can now just be glued into this on either end..(external fitting a durso and external to plumbing going to the sump)

7. neo

neo Thread Starter

I see said the blind man...
    I normal-googled this so i can see what it looks like but the pics are bad, then image-googled it and found lots of pics.
    First one is of normal bulkhead i think...
    [​IMG]

next one is of a diy bulkhead, same kind of thing as leslie is talking about but done with the male-female setup i'm talking about...
    [​IMG]

the diy one will restrict your 50mm down-pipe a bit vs the correct size bulkhead that will allow for full 50mm.
    I see the bulkheads go for between R55 and R70 (therse other megga-buck bulkheads also - don't undersdand the diff), must go see what the diy version will cost.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the second picture is also a bulkhead you can buy from Builders Warehouse. That is what they called it. And 50mm pipe fit inside on both sides. That is what I had in mind.

The hole should be slightly bigger that 50mm. Or whatever the diameter of the threaded part of the top connector.

9. neo

neo Thread Starter

hmmm,
    try builders in Centurion, they are good at testing one's, hummmm, 'geduld'...
    they dont have a clue what i'm talking about and when you explain it and they hear 'glass' and 'aquarium' they revert to the default 'no we don't have' or better yet 'sold out'
    mind you, the one plumbing shop i asked wanted to know if it's got something to do with boats....

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If I remember correctly, look in the swimming pool section....

Recent Posts