Bulkhead leaking

Reaction score
Both overflow and return bulkheads are leaking:(, is there a way to seal them without draining the overflow box?

Not that I know of, they need to be dry before the silicone will stick. Can you give them an extra bit of a turn to tighten them? Not too much though, don't want to crack the glass.

Gaboon try some AquaMend epoxy putty.I have used it on pvc pipes befor.It`s great because it will still set even under water.In Cape Town all the hardware stores sell it.It`s made by Alcolin so it`s easy to find.Roll it between your palms to make a long thin worm the size of a pencil.Then wrap around the leaking fitting.Use a bit of water to wet your finger and then smooth it out nicely.

If your bulkhead is leaking, one of three things is happening:

1) The nut has not been tightened enough
2) The gasket is not even
3) The top is not sealed off hence the water is leaking through the thread.

For 1 you can just tighten it more.

For 2 and 3 you will have to drain and redo.

if its a problem,go for pratley underwater set.used this on a 2 ft tank which worked well!!

If your bulkhead is leaking, one of three things is happening:

1) The nut has not been tightened enough
2) The gasket is not even
3) The top is not sealed off hence the water is leaking through the thread.

For 1 you can just tighten it more.

For 2 and 3 you will have to drain and redo.

agreed 100%

The problem is the overflow box is so small, with both pipes in I cannot fit my arm in. Thats why I didn't silicone it in the first place. I assumed the gaskets would do the job. You know what they say about assumption!

The problem is the overflow box is so small, with both pipes in I cannot fit my arm in. Thats why I didn't silicone it in the first place. I assumed the gaskets would do the job. You know what they say about assumption!

The gasket will do the trick provided you used enough thread tape top and bottom, and the gasket doesnt twist during tightning.

Silicone or any other glue wont be a long term solution, do it right first time;)

The gasket will do the trick provided you used enough thread tape top and bottom, and the gasket doesnt twist during tightning.

Silicone or any other glue wont be a long term solution, do it right first time;)

Thats the problem, didn't use thread tape:nono:

mhh yeah believe it or not water trickles down the thread, made that mistake first time round too

My mate @mala1610 says he has some I can use so this will sort out my leak around the threaded part then. I hope. Getting small clamps for the other parts where there is no thread but there are still leaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think clamps will work to stop leaks. If the joins / fitting were PVC welded together then you could try a little bit of silicone. Otherwise you need to redo the plumbing properly. Its takes some practice to get leak free plumbing if you do it yourself. Maybe post a pic of where you intend to put the clamps so that we can see if it will work or if there are other options that are better.

I've heard that the silicone is a last resort and that the clamps will be perfect for where there are leaks between the joins. I'll post a pic of the leak now...

Back
Top Bottom