RSS Building South Africa’s first Gyre Tank Aquarium

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 13 Aug 2013.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

South Africa’s marine aquarium community, Marine Aquarium SA, recently held its annual Aquarium Expo where I was honored to be the international Guest Speaker. While in Johannesburg, and kicking it with the crew at Nemo’s Janitor, it came up that they needed a coral display tank, and did I have any ideas?

Did I have any ideas? Gyre Tank all the way. Since I was in ZA to speak on water flow it only seemed fitting to be able to present the Gyre Flow concept*and point to the ultimate example of Gyre Flow-ology, the Gyre Tank.*So with a few beers and a whole lot of glass to cut and drill we set to build South Africa, and maybe Africa’s, first ever Gyre Tank for coral display and housing.

Documenting the build of the Gyre Tank began once the tank was done, because building boxes out of glass is pretty well documented online. Since this Gyre Tank would be built with the flow provided from the feed pump, we decided to drill the return into the glass to keep everything neat and tidy.

[​IMG]

You can see that we could have made good use of today’s Hydrohandle but the squeeze bottle method worked just as well with plenty of hands to help out the drill. Here Matthew Baxter expertly freehands the glass drill bit in the side of the aquarium.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Godfrey had the enviable job of drilling the holes for the spray bar, his surgical grip on the Dremel tool machining the line to perfection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The spray bar was plumbed in and elevated just a tad on the left side to keep the bar nice and uniform compared to the Gyre plate.
    [​IMG]

Since acrylic is expensive and glass is cheap, even the Gyre Plate was made from glass, but and sanded on the spot.
    [​IMG]

Fresh cut glass has super sharp edges that will cut the heck out of you so a belt sander was employed to grind down the sharpness.
    [​IMG]

The plate for the Gyre Tank is propped up with a few uniform stand pipes and voila.
    [​IMG]

Here you have South Africa’s first Gyre Tank which garnered a lot of attention at the Expo. The feed pump was an Abyzz 200 so there was no lack of water flow and pressure to begin with, but the uniformity of the mostly unilateral flow offered the corals the as exchange they need while not disturbing the surface for viewing, too much.
    <h4 class='related_post_title'>Readers also viewed:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click here to read the article...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Nice...:thumbup:

4. seank

seank

Hey google queen, please post more info wrt this.. Also wanna see how this works... And the coral movement etc.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

..:p..here is a decent Article which explains the basics of the Gyre Tank..it's an old Article, posted in 2007..;)
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

Some video's on Gyre Tank..I did not go thru the 1st Link till the end as it just chows my MB..sorry..so I hope it's useful..:blush:

Gyre Flow

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  6. Express Reef

Express Reef

More info? How does it work? More pics?

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

Haha you can do it horizontally or vertically and i have had one for a year now. Just packaged differently

8. Express Reef

Express Reef

Pics or it didnt happen :tt2:

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

Four wm3s . Each in a corner. Ones in diagonally opposite corners run symultaneously alternating between two sets of pumps

10. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

@mandarinman how about some pictures for the less smart (me) ;)

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

Haha all you see is four wm 3s in four corners. The controller is behind the tank. Pop past some time

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what is the period each set is on?

Must be long enough to get the water moving in a circular flow, either horizontal or vertical. Best results you need to turn the flow around into the other direction at some point.

Doing the same with 2 MP40 pumps in the top back corners facing each other. Set to long pulse for 10 minutes alternating.

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

My wm 3s are set to have two push the water clockwise for the maximum time the wm timer allows(havent timed it) and then it switches so that the other two pumps run anticlockwise for the same amount of time before the timer switches back again
    Ps the only reason i know what gyre is because i asked spsmad and he said "like your tank" i didnt know it had a name.. haha

Last edited: 13 Aug 2013
  15. seank

seank

Agreed... And here I thought it was some new thing hitting our shores

16. mandarinman

mandarinman

Lmao

Recent Posts